Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the difference is with the with two options available in the Route Option menu? The two settings are either Quick or Short. I want both - the shortest route getting there in the quickest time. Am I being too greedy?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
larsmate said:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is with the with two options available in the Route Option menu? The two settings are either Quick or Short. I want both - the shortest route getting there in the quickest time. Am I being too greedy?
Yes :D

Short means use the shortest route even if it is slower.

Fast means use the fastest route even if it's longer.

For example, take a town with a major road going stright through it and a bypass going around it. The bypass will be longer but quicker - so Quick will choose this route. The town centre route will be shorter but slower - so Short will choose this route. In this example there is no route that is both shortest and quickest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PD,

That explains a few things. Like it wanting me to take the Sydney Harbour Bridge when the Habour Tunnel is quickest to my place!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
larsmate said:
That explains a few things. Like it wanting me to take the Sydney Harbour Bridge when the Harbour Tunnel is quickest to my place!
That's another thing that sat nav systems don't have - local knowledge.

All the sat nav systems I've used tell me to take a route home over a bridge - but the bridge has traffic lights on it enforcing alternate traffic. Since the sat nav systems don't know that, they don't realise that adds an extra 5 minutes to that route - which makes the alternative route (which is longer by about a mile) much quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts