Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have rns e installed in my A4 b6. Great product, the only problem i have is the radio reception. The radio often looses it's reception. I am not sure whether i have attached the antenna the right way. I have attached a gps antenna and also attached my nokia antenna (the one on the roof of the car that looks like a shark's tail).

Another thing is that i thought that the system would automaticly search for the strongest frequency (as soon as you change states it automaticly changes the frequency of the station to the strongest signal (here in europe change the frequencies a lot). Is there something wrong in my settings?

Regards, frank

·
Registered
142 Posts
What year is your car? On my first Audi A4 Audi reinstalled the FM antenna on the rear window as the antenna had cracks. Audi told me its just a bad design.

Do you have any reception on your AM?

You might want to check that first.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
frank356 said:
I have attached a gps antenna and also attached my nokia antenna (the one on the roof of the car that looks like a shark's tail).
Have you got the connections to the sharkfin antenna correct? If you use the wrong one the signal will be very, very weak (almost non-existant in fact).

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Aren't you guys talking about different things? The sharkfin on the roof does not include a radio antenna, only GPS, GSM, SAT (US only), heater (Europe only). The radio antennas are always in the windows (in the B6 that is), either one without diversity or multiple connected via diversity module.

The RNS-E needs the blue Fakra for GPS, the purple FAKRA from the sharkfin may be connected to the telematics module,phone cradle and maybe a 3rd party phone interface but it doesn't get connected to the RNS-E. The RNS-E also needs at least HF (That's the beige FAKRA in the back of the RNS-E that is closer to the side of the unit) for any radio reception. ZF (Diversity, the other beige FAKRA on the RNS-E) is not available in all cars (e.g. it's not available in those without OEM radio or with the Chorus radio) but if there is a curry colored Fakra connector it should be connected (via adapter) to the ZF connector on the RNS-E.

So, in your car, what is connected to which connector right now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts