Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, great source of information. I am NEARLY there, but have a couple of issues I could do with some input on.

Car is a 2007 A3, with Bose, Ipod and GSM prep.

I have removed the Concert3 cd, and got an RNSe (2004) from ebay.

Following advice from here, I have moved the Bose pin, cut the cable to 16, and unplugged "AU PL".

All is working, except the following issues......

Is it just coding?

Phone - comes up as in call but nothing out of the speakers.
Very worrying clicking/interference noise for a couple of secs when you turn on the ignition
Quite heavy hum when the volume is turned down...

Finally, whats the best - easiest place to put the antenna?

Your help appreciated!

Ed

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Are you sure you moved the bose pin to the right place? Sounds like your unit is not working in BOSE mode which would explain the poor sound and the lack of sound from your front speakers during a phone call.

G

·
edo said:
pretty sure I moved it ok. Sound is ok, but I get odd noises on turing on the ignition, and lots of hum with the volume off.....
Does the hum change pitch when you rev the engine? If so, you may have a grounding issue.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
Are you sure you moved the Bose pin to the right place? Sounds like your unit is not working in BOSE mode which would explain the poor sound and the lack of sound from your front speakers during a phone call.
I've had a look at Ed's car and:

- sound comes out of all 4 speakers in CD & radio mode, so the Bose connection is OK.

- in phone mode the radio mutes but there's no sound. I suspect the RNS-E has a faulty phone input - since the phone did work with the previous Concert III (of course the phone module audio output could have failed...).

- the interference only happens for a few seconds after the RNS-E turns on, and sounds just like the DVD being read.

It's looking to me most likely to be a faulty RNS-E.

BTW we updated the software to 0550 using my 2007 DVD, but TMC doesn't work when returning back to Ed's 2006_1 (0460) DVD.

One of the best things was that the dealer had said that because there is a phone cradle Bluetooth wasn't included (the phone module is an 8P0 862 335 H) - but, of course, Bluetooth does work with Ed's Nokia 6230!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Dave,

I've been following this post on here and on Tyresmoke. Did you have a vagcom session with the car? Just wondered if you got the same ZF antenna short to ground error that I and a few others have seen.

Regards, John.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
JohnS3 said:
I've been following this post on here and on Tyresmoke. Did you have a vagcom session with the car? Just wondered if you got the same ZF antenna short to ground error that I and a few others have seen.
Yes, Ed got the RNS-E swapped (which solved the phone problem) so he came back and I recoded the new RNS-E, checked the phone module and coded the CAN gateway - so everything works now.

But he does still have the same ZF antenna short to ground problem. I'm wondering if the new antenna amplifiers are taking more current than they used to and this is causing this error (which is basically saying that the antenna amp is taking too much current)?

Anyone else had, and cured, this error after retrofitting an RNS-E to an 8P A3?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave. I wonder if Audi use some different components in the antenna system on factory fit RNSe cars. Is it possible to check this? Maybe someone has a factory RNSe and VAGCOM in an 07 A3 who is willing to look for the same error? I have a contact on audi-sport.net with a techy mate who works for Audi, he is looking at this same ZF short to ground issue, if he comes up with any suggestions, I'l post them up here.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
JohnS3 said:
Thanks for the info Dave. I wonder if Audi use some different components in the antenna system on factory fit RNSe cars. Is it possible to check this? Maybe someone has a factory RNSe and VAGCOM in an 07 A3 who is willing to look for the same error? I have a contact on audi-sport.net with a techy mate who works for Audi, he is looking at this same ZF short to ground issue, if he comes up with any suggestions, I'l post them up here.
Thanks.

I'll check on ETKA if there are different part numbers shown for the antenna amps when the RNS-E is fatory fitted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue after recently installing a unit in my 2007 S3 :cry:

I can clear the code in Vag Com but it comes straight back - is there something simple we are missing in the wiring for the new Symphony/Concert II+ ?

Anyway here's the code i get

00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 17
Mileage: 381 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2007.04.21
Time: 19:49:06

·
Registered
365 Posts
And here's mine....

Address 37: Navigation
Control Module Part Number: 8P0 035 192
Component and/or Version: RNS-E HIGH EU H50 0550
Software Coding: 0209717
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 199
Mileage: 5387 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2007.04.23
Time: 15:45:32
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 5380 km
Count: 2304
Clock: 15:45

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
We're all seeing the same error then.

I've just checked on ETKA - the same amplifiers are fitted with Symphony and RNS-E - so that's not the problem.

Need another idea ....

·
Registered
365 Posts
We might be getting somewhere with this "ZF short to ground" issue. Have a look at these diagrams below.

The symphony 2+ (shown on the left) has two HF inputs, one from the left aerial module - R108 (HF1 on pin 2) and another from aerial amplifier -R24 (HF2 on pin 3).
The RNS-e is expecting one HF input from the left aerial module - R108 (HF on pin 5) and has one ZF output back to the left aerial module - R108 (ZF on pin 4)

Taking the above into account and looking at the actual text of the error "Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier 007 - Short to Ground" starts to make more sense.

It might be worth trying to connect HF1 or HF2 from the Symphony2+ to pin5 (HF) on the RNSe, leaving pin 4 disconnected. This may clear the ZF issue, but create others. If I get home on time tonight I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Does anyone have access to wiring diagrams?

Regards, John.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts