Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have just bought a navi for my a3. Im still in the research zone trying to gather info before I start the installation.

Anyway, after looking threw several guides I still do not quite understand what needs to be done at the wiring part.

I see that ppl write about removing glow box and some plates under the steering wheel, and even something about the light switch.

Can someone please be some kind to tell me exactly what this is for, and which wiring it includes.

I know that I have to place the GPS somewhere, but what else needs to be done at the wiring part.
I just want to install my navi, not BT, tele, tv, cd changer!
Im desperate for help, wasnt easy to get any info from my local audi store.. they refused to help me out! :(

Thanks, and mery xmas to all of you!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Most of the people may be busy with Christmas these days. If you wait a couple of days I'm sure someone will respond. If you don't have a wiring plan you might better get one of those plug and play adapters though.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
029kid said:
I see that ppl write about removing glow box and some plates under the steering wheel, and even something about the light switch.

Can someone please be some kind to tell me exactly what this is for, and which wiring it includes.

I know that I have to place the GPS somewhere, but what else needs to be done at the wiring part.
I just want to install my navi, not BT, tele, tv, cd changer!
Im desperate for help, wasnt easy to get any info from my local audi store.. they refused to help me out!
I'm not surprised your local Audi dealer refused to help you - most say it is impossible to retrofit the RNS-E. Well we have proved them wrong hundreds of times over!!!

Since all you want to do is swap the radio for an RNS-E much of what you have read will not apply.

If you already have a double DIN radio, i.e. a Symphony II or similar, then you will not need to make any mechanical modifications. The RNS-E will physically fit into the same space in the centre console. If, on the other hand, you have a single DIN radio then you will need to modify the climate control panel (trim the edges) so it can fit further down near the ashtray to make room for the double DIN frame which you will have to fit.

Depending on the radio (and whether you have Bose, CD, telephone - or want to have the wiring ready for CD (iPod) , telephone)) you will need a wiring adapter, because the RNS-E uses different connectors to the Audi radios (the exception is the new Symphony III - which will just need 2 wires moving). You will also need an antenna adapter - because again the connectors are different between the RNS-E and the radios.

Fitting the GPS antenna is usually done in one of 2 places - behind the instruments or underneath the dash above the glovebox. The choice is yours - people seem to be happy and get good satellite reception with it in both places.

All you'll need having done the install is access to VAG-COM to check the coding of the RNS-E and the instruments and to clear the fault codes that always appear during the install. Most people with A3's have reported that the system works straight away, so this might not be urgent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey!

Thanks for your respond. My local Audi store kinda said that it was impossible, or they told me the process was enormous and that they had to make a whole in the roof to place the GPS etc.. It seemed like they did not know what they where talking about, I felt I knew more acutally.

Anyway I do own a chorus casette player today, so its only a single DIN. I need to modify it!

You mention the antenna, u mean this right ? ( https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16142&cat=263&page=1 )
I have already ordered the wiring adaptor, so its on its way... Currently I do not have BOSE, but Im wondering if I should get it, if its not to much work installing it. (Would you know?)

So what you are saying is, I do not have to remove the plates under the steeringwheel, lightswitch thing etc to modify wiring, I just have to place the GPS above the glovebox ?

The modifying part Im aware of, but its just the wiring part Im not so sure of. But if what you say is correct I feel prepared to try!

Thanks, let me know if you got more to say! :)

Christmas is not over yet, so enjoy it! Happy new year aswell!

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey.
Ye I know, but regarding the wiring it does not say much specific!

Like this:

"Under steering wheel:
a) Push light switch in, and twist to the right. It should pop out. Disconnect the two connections, and put switch away for later.
b) Remove fuse box panel cover.
c) Unscrew all the bolts underneath the fuse panel. It's obvious which ones are holding the lower dash on.
d) There are two bolts in the foot well. One on the right and one on the left. Unscrew both of those and the lower dash should come off.
e) The top will tilt down. With the top part down, pull outward and the rest of it should come off."

What is that for ? What needs to be done there ?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts