Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a company install an RNS-E in my 06 A4. I added the Dietz 1417 and 1280 with a ME3 DVD player. Everything was working well and then all of a sudden I was driving and my sirius radio lost service.

I got to my destination and turned off my car and the RNS-E stayed on. I soon noticed that there was a blank screen on the DIS on my dashboard (where there is usually status of stations, inputs, etc). I also noticed I can watch video in motion without engaging my Dietz piece. The buttons also dont illimunate red at night.

The problem is I now have to turn on and off my RNSE manually every time I want to use it. It no longer powers up or down with ignition.

I am assuming the CAN BUS connection is screwed up, but does that mean that the car has lost its other diagnostics (engine lights, air conditioning, etc)?

Any suggestions to what could be broken or if I am just being an idiot?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
IIRC someone reported that his Dietz 1280 hung and needed to be disconnected from power for a couple of seconds. Since it controls the CAN message between head unit and cluster/SAT receiver this would cause the cluster to stop showing radio/navi information and the SAT receiver to stop working.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so your saying that the 1280 essentially froze, right? i can understand how that would cause the DIS to disappear (because it runs between the CAN), but how could it cause the Sirius to get screwed up and cause the power of the entire RNSE to stay on without the key in the ignition? the gps on my navigation works and my ipod video/dvd player work.

thanks for your help

also, does this mean that the "frozen" 1280 could be disabling other diagnostic tests or systems in the car?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The SAT receiver is connected to the same Infotaiment CAN bus as the RNS-E and the Dietz. If the Dietz is in between the RNS-E and the rest of the car, the RNS-E cannot talk to the cluster nor the SAT receiver if the Dietz interupts the connection.

If the RNS-E gets disconnected from the CAN bus, the buttons won't light up and TV in motion will be possible because the RNS-E will not get the speed signal over CAN. Navigation may still be possible as the navi still receives position information from the GPS, but it should not be as accurate as with a working speed signal. If the RNS-E doesn't receive the ignition signal over CAN, it will stay on for about an hour and then power off, independent of the ignition.

Since the CD changer/Phatbox/iPod are all connected directly to the RNS-E, those devices will continue to work even without a proper CAN connection.

The bottom line is that all the strange things you list are dependent on the CAN signal. And everything that still works has nothing to do with CAN. Check the Dietz and its CAN connection and you should get to the root cause of your issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.