Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an RNS-E in my 2004 Allroad and for the last month it has worked well with one small issue, followed up by last night's very large issue. So, in order:

1) when using the tuning buttons on the multi-function steering wheel (MFSW), it produced a rapid ticking sound, like an accelerated turning indicator. It would tick eight or ten times and then the radio station (or iPod track) would move up or down as desired. And the ticking was not mechanical, it was coming through the speakers so if I turned the volume up, the sound of the ticking would increase and vice versa;

2) Driving the car last night, listening to the radio, I glanced down at the screen and saw the following message, "System Note: software is updating, please wait." There was a horizontal progress bar on the screen and while it was growing, the radio continued to play without issue. When the progress bar got to approximately 75%, the radio went dark - the screen and all the backlighting - and the screen flickered between dead black and a very dark grey. The radio would not respond to any input and a soft reset had no effect (I'm trying a hard reset tonight (3/1) or tomorrow.) In the meantime, as the screen continued to flicker when the car was off, I pulled fuse #37 (radio and nav) so the battery wouldn't drain while it's parked in the NYC garage around the corner from my apartment.

Any help and/or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. My course of action at this point is as follows (in order of escalation).

i) try a hard reset - holding down the on/off knob down for approx. 30 seconds;
ii) pull the RNS-E and look for crimped wires that may possibly be touching/arc'ing intermittently;
iii) with the RNS-E out, look for the mini 10A fuse in the back to be blown (causing the back lighting to go dark).

That's what I have for the moment - it's bound to be a weekend of tough diagnostics and lots of cursing. Thanks to TeddyBGame and NSXjr for their initial troubleshooting suggestions.

Like I said, any thoughts/help will be greatly appreciated. At the moment, a dead RNS-E is like having a large paperweight mounted in the center of my dash.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Fist of all...do you know what firmware was loaded initially (before it happened)?
Can you ask seller what configuration was loaded? it is EU or US unit?
What version of maps you have?

To be honest it doesn't looks good when updating firmware is interrupted.
Mostlikely your firmware is now corrupted and locked but it is kind of weird that it doesn't power on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proxus,

1. Firmware was latest as of mid-Jan'07 (as updated by NSXjr);
2. Unit was originally an EU unit, configured for US operation (again, with help from TeddyBGame and NSXjr);
3. Maps are latest version.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I would contact seller and ask if EEPROM was reprogrammed.
If they did, it could be damaged and automaticaly power to the board is cut.

Once unit is powered observe if fan is spinning or if you can hear any noise.
Same second the power button is pressed you should hear 1 second click of moving (adjusting) laser head.

·
Registered
538 Posts
eeprom problem

Yes I know this problem, because I saw the same problem on 2 units which I bought from ebay. When I saw the EEPROM i discovered that the eeprom was reprogrammed. You can easy see the difference of a factory eeprom and a eeprom which is programmed after.
I saw that 3 feets of a eeprom were bad installed. I could take the eeprom and reprogram it again and after installing it works very fine but of course it's possible that the board with the important eeprom's is cut and you have shortcut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for the EEPROM suggestions.

Can you tell me why someone would recode an EEPROM and if they did and did it incorrectly, is there some way to reprogram it correctly? If so, how is that done? I'm extremely comfortable with technology and would be interested in knowing how to connect to the RNS-E and code the EEPROM.

Of course, I may also simply hand it someone who's more experienced so they can code it correctly (assuming the unit isn't dead).

Again, thanks and I look forward to hearing your collective thoughts on this.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was going to ask the same question, I would like to know the reason for reprogramming the EEPROM, can you get later features on earlier units possibly ?

I remember a Douglas Adams quote...

"Technology is just another names for stuff that doesn't work properly yet"

Dave.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
thenative1 said:
Thanks very much for the EEPROM suggestions.

Can you tell me why someone would recode an EEPROM and if they did and did it incorrectly, is there some way to reprogram it correctly? If so, how is that done? I'm extremely comfortable with technology and would be interested in knowing how to connect to the RNS-E and code the EEPROM.

Of course, I may also simply hand it someone who's more experienced so they can code it correctly (assuming the unit isn't dead).

Again, thanks and I look forward to hearing your collective thoughts on this.
To play with EEPROM you will need hot air soldering iron, steady hand and special software for programing.
The only reason to mess with that chip is either fixing OS flash sectors when you can't access your OS or firmware any other way.
Also I heard that some people are able to read old PIN number in case it is lost.
Someone here posted photo of this chip and believe me, you don''t want to be involved in job liek this. It would be probably better to get new motherboard from damaged unit and replace it.

Those monkeys on ebay don't have a clue how delicate those units are and they shouldn't mess with their butcher's hand with motherboard.

·
Registered
538 Posts
why recode

Why is the eeprom recode ??

there are some reasons:

- the logincode of the unit is lost and the owner doesn't want to visit the Audi dealer and don't want to pay for the code so a technician with the right eeprom reader and software reads the data on the eeprom to calculate the code
- the unit is stolen and recode after with another (working dump) software
- the unit is not stolen but the eeprom is unplugged to read the code and soldered again.
- the eeprom is crashed after sofwareupdate and reprogrammed again (this happens sometime when the unit is programmed for unlocking the tv dvd output.

I hope that I was clear

regards from belgium

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: why recode

rabbit said:
Why is the eeprom recode ??
- the eeprom is crashed after sofwareupdate and reprogrammed again (this happens sometime when the unit is programmed for unlocking the tv dvd output.
wow ....I didn't knew this could be possible duting TV unlocking :shock:

I will also add to your list ...power loss during any update or recoding

·
Registered
538 Posts
eeprom

If someone has the same problem I can offer him a used eeprom motherboard EU version with known logincode.
I have approx. 50x rns-e navigationsystems with mostly defect dvd units and sratches on displays. The navisystems are directly from Audi headquarter Germany.

Just ask for the parts

·
Registered
538 Posts
eeprom chrash

Yes Proxus, A guy from germany who installs rns-e systems with complete dvb/t receiver told me that this problem happens offently after softwareupdate. The rns-e doesn't work properly and the eeprom is totally crashed. You see on the system softwareupdate and the update doesn't finish anymore.
It's not possible to read and to recode the eeprom anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: eeprom

rabbit said:
If someone has the same problem I can offer him a used eeprom motherboard EU version with known logincode.
I have approx. 50x rns-e navigationsystems with mostly defect dvd units and sratches on displays. The navisystems are directly from Audi headquarter Germany.

Just ask for the parts
PM Sent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts