Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

On hand held GPS devices (like an iPaq with Tomtom) it is posible to see the actual speed you are going. I think this is a nice feature, but I haven't been able to find anything like that on my RNS-E with fw. 650.

I have seen that it should be posible to see the speed in "engineering mode" or something like that. But I think it would be nice if the speed could be shown on the RNS-E. Is this posible?

Thanks in advance and sory if this has been brought up before :)

/Logan

·
Registered
530 Posts
Only possible through engineering mode unfortunately.

·
Registered
133 Posts
with Bjarne's Cangate I believe you still can have it display speed in the DIS.
correct me if Im wrong on that one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. It is a shame it isn't posible. It would be a nice feature to have added :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
with Bjarne's Cangate I believe you still can have it display speed in the DIS.
correct me if Im wrong on that one
Yes, if you have CANGate you can display the speed in the second line of the DIS. Unfortunately it is not the GPS speed, it is just the speed sent from the cluster.

This is also the case with the speed shown in engineering mode, it is the speed from the cluster.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
CANGate cars are TT's A3 R8 right?
No. CANGate is a product designed and made by bjarne originally to solve the B5/C5 clock problem, but which now has found more uses.

The A3, R8 and TT Mark 2 have only CAN bus diagnostics - they do not have the K-line (or L-line) used on older Audis. They do have a CAN Gateway that routes information between the various CAN busses in the car (which is what I think you are confusing with CANGate).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does any body know how to calculate the GPS Speed to km/h and/or miles/h??

If the GPS Speed in the "Hidden menu" of my A4 ( B8 ) shows a speed of 600 - what should the speed in km/h and/or miles/h then be??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does any body know how to calculate the GPS Speed to km/h and/or miles/h??

If the GPS Speed in the "Hidden menu" of my A4 ( B8 ) shows a speed of 600 - what should the speed in km/h and/or miles/h then be??
I have found the way how-to read the GPS speed in the "Hidden Menu" as km/h and miles/h.

GPS Speed in "Hidden menu"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't see the "hidden menu" by searching, do you mean this one on the RNS-E where GPS speed is available?
press NAV; hold the top left selector arrow (around the main knob) down for 10 seconds; press the top right selector arrow for 5 seconds; display will show the menus to select from.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't see the "hidden menu" by searching, do you mean this one on the RNS-E where GPS speed is available?
press NAV; hold the top left selector arrow (around the main knob) down for 10 seconds; press the top right selector arrow for 5 seconds; display will show the menus to select from.
I don't know if there is a "hidden menu" in RNS-E.

I've found the GPS speed in MMI high (the one with DVD Nav).

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I don't know if there is a "hidden menu" in RNS-E.
There is a screen in Engineering Mode on the RNS-E that shows information including GPS speed, but only as a tiny piece of text.

And you cannot make this screen appear permanently.

So to confirm what has already been said - there is no known way to make the RNS-E display GPS speed during normal use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts