Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read these forums for months now and still not completey clear on the retro install I want to carry out.
So decided to register myself and ask ...

I have a double din headunit and so know its a plug n play swap.

What I would like to know is the audi phone prep system which I have and the MFSW and DIS setup.

I dont have access to VAG.com system when doing the install.

Will the phone prep just plug into the RNS ? do I need any extra cables?

I dont have a BOSE headunit.

Also will I need to setup the wheel size etc etc with a vag.com system

If I buy a 2007 DVD, will this upgrade the firmware and install TMC support? Do I need any extra cables for TMC?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Since you talk about TMC I suppose you are in Europe/UK. You will not need extra cable to get TMC, just teh 2007 Euro DVD. The upgrade to the 2007 DVD/software should be straight forward and your phone kit should work as before if you order the RNS-E adapter with support for a phone. To use the enhanced features with the RNS-E, your phone interface will need to be recoded from 0xxxx to 1xxxx.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Since you talk about TMC I suppose you are in Europe/UK. You will not need extra cable to get TMC, just teh 2007 Euro DVD. The upgrade to the 2007 DVD/software should be straight forward and your phone kit should work as before if you order the RNS-E adapter with support for a phone. To use the enhanced features with the RNS-E, your phone interface will need to be recoded from 0xxxx to 1xxxx.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am in the UK.
So a 2007 DVD will upgrade the system and add TMC..great news.

Do you have a part number for the adapter cable with phone support?

Also what does the enhanced features offers and what do you mean recoded from 0xxxxx to 1xxxxx. Do you mean from version 0 to 1 ?

How do you recode the phone module...is that a vag.com or audi job?

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Take some time and browse through the quick links, that will answer most of your questions. And yes, to recode a module you need a VAG-COM cable or an Audi dealer to do the job. And the adapter cable is not an Audi part but you can get them from some of the sellers that post in the Sale forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Take some time and browse through the quick links, that will answer most of your questions. And yes, to recode a module you need a VAG-COM cable or an Audi dealer to do the job. And the adapter cable is not an Audi part but you can get them from some of the sellers that post in the Sale forum.
I have been reading alot of those links but under section 3...parts
it said I need to have access to VAG COM... like listed below.

Why would you need to do this?

3. PARTS

» access to VAG COM to modify your ECU (car computer) settings
» Radio removing tools

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You need a VAG-COM cable or your dealer to make the following changes:

Instrument Cluster: Adjust coding to enable support for the navigation display in the DIS
RNS-E: Adjust coding to match what's installed in your car (e.g. phone interface, tire size)
Phone interface: Adjust coding to tell the phone interface that there is now a RNS-E that controlls it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
You need a VAG-COM cable or your dealer to make the following changes:

Instrument Cluster: Adjust coding to enable support for the navigation display in the DIS
RNS-E: Adjust coding to match what's installed in your car (e.g. phone interface, tire size)
Phone interface: Adjust coding to tell the phone interface that there is now a RNS-E that controlls it
What codes need to be use on the phone interface please?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Change #77 from 0xxxx to 1xxxx.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Ok

So I use the VAG COM and where do I find #77
will the guy who owns the VAG COM know more about this ?

Its it under a telephone setting?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
beerglass007 said:
AudiA4B6US said:
Ok

Thanks again
The guy who owns the VAG-COM will know where to find Telephone (77) on the menus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PetrolDave said:
beerglass007 said:
AudiA4B6US said:
Ok

Thanks again
The guy who owns the VAG-COM will know where to find Telephone (77) on the menus.
Ok thanks.
When I change the #77 to enable the extra phone features what will these be.

I have installed the RNS-E today and the phone kit is working.
It doesnt give me the SIM card contacts as yet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What phone interface do you have? If the phone interface is coded for "high" and the RNS-E as well you will see the phone book, missed/dialed/answered calls and some more.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Plus not all phones are capable of sharing the calls lists and phone book with the Bluetooth interface.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
What phone interface do you have? If the phone interface is coded for "high" and the RNS-E as well you will see the phone book, missed/dialed/answered calls and some more.
Its the Audi OEM bluetooth system, I'm unsure of any model numbers because I have not used any VAG COM on the car as yet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If it's a 2006 then the phone interface should be new enough and you will just need to change the softcoding from 0xxxx to 1xxxx. Also make sure that the RNS-E softcoding is 0xxx7xx (in Europe) or 0xxx6xx (in North America).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
If it's a 2006 then the phone interface should be new enough and you will just need to change the softcoding from 0xxxx to 1xxxx. Also make sure that the RNS-E softcoding is 0xxx7xx (in Europe) or 0xxx6xx (in North America).
Yes its a 2006 car.
I'll check the #77 in the weekend.

I was wondering what extra features I would gain.

Yes my phone does work with the bluetooth and currently displays the phone book on the DIS when pressing the MODE button on the MFSW.

So changing the #77 just sends it to the RNS-E as well I take it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts