Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking up replacing the Symphony II radio I have in my 2006 A4 with a RNS-E Nav unit. I do not have the Bose system, or satelite radio. I have heard conflicting opinions on this. Some say it is a plug and play swap and everything will work perfect. Others say I need an adapter harness and a VAG cable / software. So, my questions are:

Is it plug and play? Do I need a VAG tool? Will my steering wheel controls work? How about the in dash display? Do I need a GPS sensor, or is there one in the "sharkfin"? Is there an extra cable from the "sharkfin" I need to find?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
mmightyb said:
I am thinking up replacing the Symphony II radio I have in my 2006 A4 with a RNS-E Nav unit. I do not have the Bose system, or satelite radio. I have heard conflicting opinions on this. Some say it is a plug and play swap and everything will work perfect. Others say I need an adapter harness and a VAG cable / software. So, my questions are:

Is it plug and play? Do I need a VAG tool? Will my steering wheel controls work? How about the in dash display? Do I need a GPS sensor, or is there one in the "sharkfin"? Is there an extra cable from the "sharkfin" I need to find?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
if you buy a package from a trusted seller here or on other audi boards as i did, it will be totally plug and play and include everything you need to get up and running

most packages come with a gps antenna which is installed (easily) with the unit. other cables are availible which will connect to the shark fin. i have the extra antenna and it works great, no need to run to the fin.

a vag tool, however, is required to get your directions on the red DIS between the speedo and tach

i also have a 2006 A4 non bose

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. So the only think I would need the VAG tool for is the the directions on the dash display? The steering wheel controls, etc. would still work without the VAG tool? Just curious because I don't have one, or know anybody with one, and if the directions on the dash are the only limitation, then could live with that until I run into someone with a VAG tool.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
If you tell the seller what the configuration of your car is (i.e. do you have a CD changer or PhatBox or iPod, do you have an MFSW, do you have Sirius or XM, do you have a phone kit either OE or aftermarket) then they should be able to code your RNS-E so that everything will continue to work as now.

So then, yes, you would only need access to VAG-COM to get the navigation instructions to appear on the DIS - that's a 1-2 minute job only.

Do you have to color DIS or the red DIS? If you have the red DIS you should be aware that because of a bug in the red DIS on the B6/B7 A4 the navigation instructions will only appear by turning the RNS-E briefly off and back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts