Audi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Updated - the title should heva been RNS-E SW Update]

I am about to install the bluetooth module to my RNS-E, but need to update the software. This came installed as the factory install with Bose speakers in my a 2005.5 A4 Avant.

In reading some forum postings, it looks like it is possible to update just the firmware using a burned DVD that I could potentially borrow from another Audi customer. In that way I can both avoid any copyright issues with ripping a DVD but also avoid a $200 charged for a new Navtev DVD.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

I have attached a screen shot of my current version information too if this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checking the bluetooth docs, it looks like I need SW version 350 for this to work so any guidance on what year Navteq DVD has this version would be awesome too...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you are in the US then you won't need an update, all US sw version support the phone interface

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Checking the bluetooth docs, it looks like I need SW version 350 for this to work so any guidance on what year Navteq DVD has this version would be awesome too...
You're mixing up EU SW versions and US maps - where do you live?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're mixing up EU SW versions and US maps - where do you live?
I'm in the US; Attaching the specific instructions from the bluetooth module for your reference Would you advise I grab the latest Navi DVD and do software update and then return it? Or given that the car has always been US based, there is zero upside to a SW version update?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Those instructions are for outside North America, for North America you have to code the RNS-E to 0xxx6xx and can use any software version. If you update to sw 0260 you will get AUX IN but you lose any video support. If you don't care about video in capabilies then you can use any recent DVD to update to sw 0260.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, you can't use NA sw and DVDs from other regions. If you are running the NA sw you must use a NA DVD for maps and sw updates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understood. I need to find a tame Audi dealership and/or shop that will allow me to borrow the DVD to allow the s/w update to take and I should be good. Am in the Raleigh, NC area. To other readers of this forum, any suggestions for me??

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Look on eBay for a GENUINE (non-copied) Audi RNS-E map DVD, there's usually several on there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just stopped by an Audi shop and attempted to do the appropriate coding for the RNS-E changing the appropriate 'bit' code, per the attached instructions, now that the bluetooth OEM kit has been installed. The code would not take, so we're going to see if we can update the RNS-E software to see if this will allow the appropriate code to be set.

Does this sound right to you 'PetrolDave' ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
So just stopped by an Audi shop and attempted to do the appropriate coding for the RNS-E changing the appropriate 'bit' code, per the attached instructions, now that the bluetooth OEM kit has been installed. The code would not take, so we're going to see if we can update the RNS-E software to see if this will allow the appropriate code to be set.

Does this sound right to you 'PetrolDave' ?
Nope, ALL US RNS-E SW versions support Bluetooth (see AudiA4B6US post earlier in this thread).

What coding are they trying to use?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Address: 56 (Radio)
0XXX?XX, modifying the ? bit to 7. See the PDF attachment above to detail the steps I am changing. Note I have SW 0020 on this kit, but per a previous posting below this has been indicated as unlikely to be contributory.When the Audi tech attempted to modify the bit, the unit responded with an error.

Any help most welcome!

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
That's the coding for EU SW not US SW! It should be 0xxx6xx for US SW.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aha! I'll head back to my Audi dude and see if we can make this work. Any other changes to the procedure based on the PDF above?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It worked! It was in fact the code 6. Awesome!

Next step for the multi function steering wheel which is not co-operating. Here's what we are coding.

Address 17 (Instrument Cluser). Channel 62. Add to 2 to the existing value.
Address 16 (Steering Wheel) - 02XXX change 02XXX to 03XXX

Does this look right to you??

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts