Audi Forum banner

RNS-E stuck in Nightime viewing mode

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PetrolDave 
#1 ·
My RNS-E does not switch between Night and Day views when set to automatic.

Not sure what could be the problem.

If there is anyone that may have a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

#7 ·
smash said:
Doesn't it just listen to the interior lighting
No, it listens to the state of the exterior lights.

I found it really annoying that it would go into night mode during the day, when we have the lights on in the rain here in California. But I do like the night mode at night.

That's why I implemented the function in CANGate to tell the RSNE the state of the lights based on the dimmer value, so that it is based on the amount of ambient light. It was actually AudiB6A4US's idea originally, and it worked out real well.

#8 ·
smash said:
and can't you disable DRLs in VAG-COM
You can, but since they are a legal requirement in Canada it would be illegal.

#9 ·
bjarne said:
smash said:
Doesn't it just listen to the interior lighting
No, it listens to the state of the exterior lights.

I found it really annoying that it would go into night mode during the day, when we have the lights on in the rain here in California. But I do like the night mode at night.

That's why I implemented the function in CANGate to tell the RSNE the state of the lights based on the dimmer value, so that it is based on the amount of ambient light. It was actually AudiB6A4US's idea originally, and it worked out real well.
I believe that this would be the solution to my problem. How would I go about implementing this CANGate function?

By the way, I really appreciate everyone's comments.

#10 ·
dejavue said:
How would I go about implementing this CANGate function?

By the way, I really appreciate everyone's comments.
Search on here for CANGate ... and you will find it is a CAN gateway that someone on here (bjarne) developed to solve some of the issues with using the RNS-E on cars it was not originally designed for AND to improve some of the ways the RNS-E worked.

The best description is here http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=cangate&t=3327

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.