Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My RNS-E was working fine before I went to work and after 5 hours I went to lunch now it shows 0 satellites and the map is off like another city. Sometimes it shows 1 satellite and goes back to 0.

I checked the reciever which is mounted in the back under the trunk near the speaker in the back and its attached fine.

What would possible went wrong?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
msharifi said:
Hi all,

My RNS-E was working fine before I went to work and after 5 hours I went to lunch now it shows 0 satellites and the map is off like another city. Sometimes it shows 1 satellite and goes back to 0.

I checked the reciever which is mounted in the back under the trunk near the speaker in the back and its attached fine.

What would possible went wrong?
Its happening now also. I'm wondering if the new firmware did something to the unit. Anyones GPS showing 1 or 0 satellites lately?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sounds more like a broken GPS antenna.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
How are they broken? It shows like 0 signal or a 1 then goes to 0 other times it finds up to 8 signals. I bought it brand new less then 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
msharifi said:
AudiA4B6US said:
How are they broken? It shows like 0 signal or a 1 then goes to 0 other times it finds up to 8 signals. I bought it brand new less then 3 weeks ago.
Anyone selling GPS Antenna?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GPS Antenna Any reason why it went bad

Haaggie said:
Before I buy another one I want to ask anyone if they think the RNS-E could be bad or its for sure the GPS Antenna.

what could possibly make the GPS Antenna go bad?

anyone had bad gps antenna in the past?

Is anyone getting poor GPS signals?

this all happened after a really sunny hot day when I parked my car for 5 hours and after going to lunch gps didnt pick any signal.

Is the GPS Antenna Magnetize? Mine is and my brother in law was wondering why it has Velcro if its magnetize.

I have my GPS Antenna in the trunk behind the speakers when it worked I had like 6-8 signal

any input will help

thanks all

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GPS Signal

TeddyBGame said:
it is also possible that the coax cable for your current gps antenna is broken....hence the intermittent sat coverage.

Just spend the $40 on a new antenna....and test it out. :)

I just got my new GPS Antenna plug the antenna same thing no signal or 1 but goes back to 0.

Any other ideas I can try?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I think now it's time to find a VAG-COM and check for faults logged. In the adaptation channels you can also see some data from the satelites. If you don't have a VAG-COM then go into engineering mode and see how many sats you get there.

You said you have the GPS antenna mounted in the back behind the speakers. If you have a sedan then it's solid metal back there where the speakers are mounted. I think it's worth a try to move the antenna somewhere where it can "see" the sky through the glas. Also the magnets of the speaker may have a negative effect on the GPS antenna.

·
Registered
517 Posts
A couple of additional things, did you do a full reset of the RNS-E? And you talk about 'the new firmware'. Did you do a firmware upgrade right before this happened?

Lastly did you check to make sure the center pin in your gps connector on the RNS-E is not broken?

And as AudiA4B6US said, make sure the GPS antenna has a clear shot at the sky, at least while you are testing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bjarne said:
A couple of additional things, did you do a full reset of the RNS-E? And you talk about 'the new firmware'. Did you do a firmware upgrade right before this happened?

Lastly did you check to make sure the center pin in your gps connector on the RNS-E is not broken?

And as AudiA4B6US said, make sure the GPS antenna has a clear shot at the sky, at least while you are testing.

How do you do a full reset on the RNS-E? I did a factory reset which didnt do anything.

I was wondering when I got the unit it was working 100% and no map or GPS problem and I upgraded the fimware from the DVD Map 2006 from 2005 and ever since that its acting up. is there a way I can go back to the old firmware? I like to get the firmware to the old one if possible and go from there. If anyone know please let me know.

The GPS connector is not broken I check it 2 times when I pulled the unit to install the new GPS antenna

GPS has clear view. For the most places Sat and Sunday I was traveling and the GPS had 6-8 signal with the old GPS Antenna but when it gets to like 3-4 signal the map is way off.

Lenny run a VAG on my system there was 3 fault code one was Bluetooth error which I dont have a phone couldnt turn it off cause of the falut codes and it said unit is not coded correctly which he said it was. I'm going to get the fault code from him and post it here.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You can reset the unit by pressing RADIO (or FM/AM) and CD/TV (or CD/SD) together until the unit reboots. This is the same as saving a value of 1 in channel 111 in #37 or #56.

You can return to a previous version of the software by saving a value of 1 in channel 97 in #37 or #56. Remove the newer DVD and insert the older DVD after changing channel 97 to 1 and the unit should start an update (downgrade) soon after doing so.

The RNS-E needs at least 4 satellites to determine the current position. 4 satellites must be available for a couple of minutes before the RNS-E adjusts the current position to the new position calculated based on GPS data. If you only got 3 satellites that's not enough and the RNS-E would use the speed signal to determine the position based on the last location. If the speed signal is missing or incorrect (e.g. not properly calibrated), the position may be calculated incorrectly.

In my case it sometimes took several minutes to get enough satellites and determine the current position. In my tests without a valid speed signal driving around downtown Chicago my RNS-E was completely lost once for 30 minutes or more (until I actually left downtown).

I would recommend to try different locations for the GPS antenna (make sure that the top of the receiver if facing up with a clear view to the sky). Make sure that there are no magnets or electric coils nearby. Drive around with route guidance activated to calibrate the speed signal. Do the driving while you get 5 or more satellites. Check in Engineering Mode how far off the speed shown is from the speed driven. Once the speed on the RNS-E matches the speed shown on the cluster, try to drive in areas where you get fewer satellites.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
You can reset the unit by pressing RADIO (or FM/AM) and CD/TV (or CD/SD) together until the unit reboots. This is the same as saving a value of 1 in channel 111 in #37 or #56.

You can return to a previous version of the software by saving a value of 1 in channel 97 in #37 or #56. Remove the newer DVD and insert the older DVD after changing channel 97 to 1 and the unit should start an update (downgrade) soon after doing so.

The RNS-E needs at least 4 satellites to determine the current position. 4 satellites must be available for a couple of minutes before the RNS-E adjusts the current position to the new position calculated based on GPS data. If you only got 3 satellites that's not enough and the RNS-E would use the speed signal to determine the position based on the last location. If the speed signal is missing or incorrect (e.g. not properly calibrated), the position may be calculated incorrectly.

In my case it sometimes took several minutes to get enough satellites and determine the current position. In my tests without a valid speed signal driving around downtown Chicago my RNS-E was completely lost once for 30 minutes or more (until I actually left downtown).

I would recommend to try different locations for the GPS antenna (make sure that the top of the receiver if facing up with a clear view to the sky). Make sure that there are no magnets or electric coils nearby. Drive around with route guidance activated to calibrate the speed signal. Do the driving while you get 5 or more satellites. Check in Engineering Mode how far off the speed shown is from the speed driven. Once the speed on the RNS-E matches the speed shown on the cluster, try to drive in areas where you get fewer satellites.
Do I need the VAG in order to go back to old fimware? Where do you save the value or change in order to go back to old firmware?

the GPS Antenna has magnets its self correct? my current GPS antenna is faced down I will turn the face up and see if it makes any differnce.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, you need a VAG-COM or you dealer's VAS to change the coding/channel value.

The GPS signal is a very weak signal. Putting it under glas is bad enough, having a magnet or steel between the GPS satellite and receiver makes things only worse. And even though the antenna is magnetic, it's different than having a large speaker magnet right next to it.

Give it a try and mount the GPS antenna face up directly under a window.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AudiA4B6US said:

The GPS signal is a very weak signal. Putting it under glas is bad enough, having a magnet or steel between the GPS satellite and receiver makes things only worse. And even though the antenna is magnetic, it's different than having a large speaker magnet right next to it.

Is it easy to make a sharkfin Antenna with the cars that doesnt have it? I'm wondering if it would be easier to dril and buy the sharkfin cover and hook up the Antenna like that.

anyone know?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AudiA4B6US said:

Here is the falut codes on my RNS-E when Lenny tried to program my unit with VAG:

Saturday,15,July,2006,09:47:03

VAG-COM Version: Release 512.4-UD

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 035 192 F

Component and/or Version: RNS-E US3 H70 0110

Software Coding: 0301600

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

3 Faults Found:

02024 - Perform Adaptation

000 - -

01303 - Telephone Transceiver (R36)

004 - No Signal/Communication

01042 - Control Module; Not Coded

000 - -

Does anyone know what 02024 perform adaptation means?
I dont have Bluetooth phone hooked up and cant turn off because of falut codes.
Control Module not coded but Lenny said it is coded.

any clues?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your last two digits cannot be zeros. If you really have none of these devices, the last two digits should be 11.

0xxxx?x: Options I
1 – No additional Tuner
2 - Digital-Radio
3 - Satellite-Radio
4 - Satellite- and Digital-Radio built-in

0xxxxx?: Options II
1 - No TV-Tuner, CD-Changer or MFSW
2 - TV-Tuner Only
3 - CD-Changer Only
4 - TV-Tuner und CD-Changer
5 - MFSW Only
6 - TV-Tuner and MFSW
7 - CD-Changer and MFSW
8 – All: TV-Tuner, CD-Changer and MFSW

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Your coding should be 0301611 for an A4 without Bose, with telefon, without CD changer, SAT radio, multifunction steering wheel and TV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts