1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have that card and it works fine.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There are no 8GB SD cards, the only 8GB cards that are available are SDHC and those won't work in the RNS-E.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
And I would guess a pointless exercise as you would hit the 512 files limit well before the 8GB limit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks, has anyone heard of any changes to the file limit?

AudiA4B6US said:
There are no 8GB SD cards, the only 8GB cards that are available are SDHC and those won't work in the RNS-E.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Steve Z1 said:

AudiA4B6US said:
There are 8Gb cards available Linky.

I thought all cards of 4Gb and above were SDHC?

FAT32 has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge file limit, something like 268,435,437 File size however is something else, you can't go above 4Gb, anything bigger and you'll need NTFS.

See here and here

:)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
SDHC don't work and even the 0550 Euro software still has the 512 file/folder limit, so no progress in that area.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Markpaq said:
Steve Z1 said:

AudiA4B6US said:
There are 8Gb cards available Linky.

FAT32 has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge file limit, something like 268,435,437 File size however is something else, you can't go above 4Gb, anything bigger and you'll need NTFS.

See here and here

:)
That 8 GB in your linky is an SDHC, which won't work in RNS-E, as AudiA4B6US has already stated above.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Markpaq said:

Whilst FAT32 has a limit of 4GB on each file, that's not a restriction on the total size of the volume. There are perhaps millions of PCs out there running Windows '98 and FAT32 which have hard drives in excess of 4GB. So a theoretical 8GB SD card is possible. Of course, as others say, the 512 file limit makes it all pointless. Shame they can't do something about that.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
andyt99 said:
So a theoretical 8GB SD card is possible.
Except that the SD standard only defines up to 4GB, above that the SDHC standard "takes over" - so the maximum size of an SD card is fixed at 4GB.

·
Registered
28 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Except that the SD standard only defines up to 4GB, above that the SDHC standard "takes over" - so the maximum size of an SD card is fixed at 4GB.
Ah, OK, cheers for the info. I've looked into this a little more and also taken a look at the use of my own 4GB and come to the conclusion that... If you just listen to music, 4GB cards are largely a waste of time. Unless you encode your MP3s at a really high bitrate, then a bunch of albums at 224 or even 320kps will probably hit the 512 file limit long before you get near 4GB - and 2GB would probably be fine. Personally though, I listen to a lot of audio novels and podcasts which can be an hour long in a single track, so obviously they fill up the cards before the 512 limit hits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 4GB installed, bute the NAvi sees only abopu 3,6GB everyhing after this is leike no on the SD-Card?
The Card is formated as FAT and I have all Sounds in 2 Folders (Band - Album).
Any hints?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
MBj said:
I have a 4GB installed, bute the NAvi sees only abopu 3,6GB everyhing after this is leike no on the SD-Card?
The Card is formated as FAT and I have all Sounds in 2 Folders (Band - Album).
Any hints?
The formatting information uses some of the capacity of the SD card, so although you start out with 4GB by the time you have formatted the card so that it can be used you are left with "only" about 3.6GB usable for data.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, Thanx I know this, BUT on my PC lets say I have formated 3,8 GB and (just an example) 100 Folders.
The Navi sees only about 80 FOlders, all below for example U is missing. On the PC I have folders thru Z??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts