Audi Forum banner

RNS-E screen failure. Screen turned white. With pictures!

13K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rev_hard 
#1 ·
I was driving the other day and the screen turned white. I didn't know what was going on so I pressed the bottom of the screen and it turned back to black (normal). Today it did the same thing so I pulled over and took a video. You can see the video of the screen being white, then I press the bottom of the screen and it turns back to normal. What is my problem here?

Video: YouTube - RNSE Screen.3GP

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
3 possible reasons:

- ribbon cable (connection between display and hardware) bad connection or broken cable

- display defective => changing of the display necessary

- bad contact on the mainboard (because of bad soldered eeprom where the pin code is located!!!!)

#3 ·
- ribbon cable: How can I get a replacement cable? How much would that cost? I think I should get one just in case if the cost isn't too high.

- display defective: How much would a new display be? I read $200 - $300, is this true? The problem is that it intermittently changes to a white screen and is hard to read the text, and I tapped the screen and it flashed back to normal which makes me think that there is a loose connection of some sort inside the actual screen. I opened the screen to display the SD cards and jiggled the ribbon but that had no affect at all on the display but that is still not ruled out.

- bad contact on the mainboard: Is the mainboard in the actual screen or is the mainboard in the actual unit. I will rule out the mainboard and eeprom soldering problem because when I touch the screen the problem will revert back to normal. I think it is a loose connection of some sort inside the actual screen because when I tap it, the display will work properly. This doesn't happen all the time. Tapping the screen didn't work today so I opened the unit, jiggled the ribbon and nothing happened. Then as the screen was still open I grabbed the bottom and squeezed and it flashed back to the normal color display. Weird.

Do you think Vag-Com will display any codes even though I am not receiving any error messages?

I am a beginner tech guy and I know a lot about electronics so I'm pretty sure I could fix if I find a solution...

#4 ·
- ribbon cable: How can I get a replacement cable? How much would that cost? I think I should get one just in case if the cost isn't too high. +> try the forum to get it i don't have anymore, it will be something like 40 to 60 euro as used item.

- display defective: How much would a new display be? I read $200 - $300, is this true? The problem is that it intermittently changes to a white screen and is hard to read the text, and I tapped the screen and it flashed back to normal which makes me think that there is a loose connection of some sort inside the actual screen. I opened the screen to display the SD cards and jiggled the ribbon but that had no affect at all on the display but that is still not ruled out. => new display you can get by haaggie in this forum!! the price is correct

- bad contact on the mainboard: Is the mainboard in the actual screen or is the mainboard in the actual unit. I will rule out the mainboard and eeprom soldering problem because when I touch the screen the problem will revert back to normal. I think it is a loose connection of some sort inside the actual screen because when I tap it, the display will work properly. This doesn't happen all the time. Tapping the screen didn't work today so I opened the unit, jiggled the ribbon and nothing happened. Then as the screen was still open I grabbed the bottom and squeezed and it flashed back to the normal color display. Weird.

bad contact on the mainboard of the unit, this problem is allready 10x spoken here on this forum, please do a search. Sometimes for this error some people have display problems or software problems like chinese or japanese letters on the display.

Do you think Vag-Com will display any codes even though I am not receiving any error messages? no it will not !!!

I am a beginner tech guy and I know a lot about electronics so I'm pretty sure I could fix if I find a solution...

#5 ·
Bringing this back from the dead.

I'm having a similar issue with my rns-e. my screen is all white and I can't make out anything on the screen. I've taken the screen off and inspected the ribbon cable and the contacts look fine. I reseated the cable and nothing changed. I took the radio apart again and placed small strips of foil tape at the ends of the ribbon cable. I placed the foil on the opposite side of the contacts so that the fit might be a little more snug. Again, nothing changed. Is there something else besides the ribbon cable I should look at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.