Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1/3 of the time that I get in my car (2003 RS6) the RNS-E comes up with the message "DVD unreadable" I've changed the data disk and it still does it. The unit is about 10 months old, purchased from a member of the forum as a kit. It has worked perfectly till now. All help welcomed.

thanks

Adam

·
Registered
17 Posts
has the cleaning disk fixed it? i am getting similar errors

it briefly worked, then stopped working
at one point today for about 1 min it showed my location
disk does not appear scratched
i removed it and re-inserted the dvd too many times

·
Registered
17 Posts
got it working

bogut cleaning disc, didn't solve problem, nor did reset
bought memorex dvd+r dual layer at staples ~$25 for 3
as per Albert's instructions
downloaded dvddecrypter from mrbass.org
did an iso read, from haaggie's disc
then as iso write using the .msd file
I have a sony cd writer
put the new disc in
initially said unreadable, then it started working

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My drive is totally dead. It won't even read an audio CD at this point. Does anyone know if the drive can be replaced? Will anyone service the unit?

Also, if I want to purchase a factory update from Navteq - is it the DVD Version 5??

thanks

Adam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the past month, all I've gotten was "DVD unreadable". Yesterday, for the first time, I saw, "Insert Navigation Disk". It subsequently returned to its frustrating behavior of "DVD unreadable".

A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed!

I broke down and bought a new 2A DVD from Navteq. The unit just started working perfectly. So, it appears that despite buying a second disk from a vendor on this list, the "factory" DVD is preferable.

Adam

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Fixed!

adamgrosser said:
I broke down and bought a new 2A DVD from Navteq. The unit just started working perfectly.
The RNS-E does appear to be VERY fussy about the brand of media used for DVD copies. Often a copy can work for months on end, and then when the temperature changes (hotter or colder) significantly it stops working or becomes unreliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts