Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an RNS-E unit, and successfully bench-tested it using a power feed from my desktop computer.

I came to try it again today, and when the unit powered up, immediately after the "welcome" screen I got the "Safe Mode" screen telling me to wait 60 minutes. So I patiently waited for the clock to count down so I could put the PIN back in..... Unfortunately, after about 30 minutes, the screen went blank (the unit appeared to switch itself off), so I had to switch the unit on again by pressing the power switch. Guess what? Welcome screen then Safe Mode screen again, asking me to wait a further 60 minutes.

Same thing keeps happening. I can't get near to putting in the PIN because the unit keeps switching off after 30 minutes!!!

Help!!!!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Having seen the answer to other people having the same problem, this seems to happen if you put the wrong PIN in too many times, you have to wait 60mins before you can try again.

And yes it will turn off after 30mins if you don't play with it, a bit of a catch 22 situation, but you could try ejecting the DVD or something just to keep it awake until the 60 mins are up.

Interestingly when I fitted mine into my car it has never asked for the PIN, only when it's on the bench !

Dave.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To clarify the issue with the PIN:

1.) If you fit the RNS first time in the car, it asks for the PIN. If you enter the wrong PIN, you get a screen to wait a dedicated time for next try. This waiting time is increasing each wrong entered PIN to impede brute force attacks. Once you enter the rigth PIN, it is stored also somewhere else in the car. So if you put the RNS out and in again, the car recognizes the RNS and provides the PIN. You won't have to enter it again.

2.) In car, the RNS is switched on/off with ignition. This is done via CAN. If there is no CAN connection (due to failure), the RNS will switch off after 30 min. idle timeout to prevent draining the battery. This also happens on the bench. You can keep it alive by pressing some keys.

3.) The RNS drains much current during startup. If the power supply is too weak, the voltage will collapse and the RNS will restart again. This leads to increased waiting time to enter the PIN.

In your case, I would leave the RNS unconnected for 1hour (this resets the waiting time) and restart it with a stronger power supply. :idea:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Dave.G6HNI said:
Interestingly when I fitted mine into my car it has never asked for the PIN, only when it's on the bench !
The RNS-E communicates with the instrument cluster - and if the stored VIN matches the car then the RNS-E doesn't ask for the PIN. When you're bench testing there is no cluster, so the RNS-E always asks for the PIN.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
term said:
Once you enter the right PIN, it is stored also somewhere else in the car. So if you put the RNS out and in again, the car recognizes the RNS and provides the PIN. You won't have to enter it again.
Doesn't work that way - the RNS-E remembers the VIN of the car - if you don't believe me check it out in Engineering Mode!

If the VIN that the RNS-E has stored doesn't match the VIN that the car reports when the RNS-E is first powered (i.e. connected to the car) then it will ask for the PIN.

term said:
I would leave the RNS unconnected for 1hour (this resets the waiting time)
Again not correct - leaving the RNS-E disconnected for days or longer won't change the amount of time you will have to wait after entering an incorrect PIN several times - it will still wait for 1 hour.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What car/year is this? I just had a similar case where the RNS-E would not accept even the first digit of the code, it went straight into locked mode after confirming the first number. It looks like it was confused, probably by seeing an older C5 cluster and a totally incorrect date/time. Or caused by a faulty software update. Might be hard to fix without connecting a B6 or 2002+ C5 cluster or downgrading/upgrading the software. I got mine fixed though. One thing to watch out for is to power if off/on every 20 minutes (press the volume knob until it goes black), the counter will continue if you don't keep it turned off to long. If you cut power the counter will reset to 60 minutes though, just keep power connected and do a soft power off/on every 20-25 minutes. If you don't have a cluster, connect a GPS antenna and wait a couple minutes so that it can find some sat and get the date/time from there, that may do the trick as well. Of course I could be completely wrong and the issue was not cause by the date/time at all. In that case a cross region software down and upgrade has fixed this for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
any feedback...

Hello,
I've got the same problem, it is stuck in safe mode. I have it in my house and hooked up to a power supply and it will shut off every 30 minutes (no Audi vehicle). I have tried pushing various buttons. Are there any particular buttons I should push or? Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok that's how you do it

AudiA4B6US, was right. Just do the following and it will work fine. You'll be able to enter the pin code and your set.

One thing to watch out for is to power if off/on every 20 minutes (press the volume knob until it goes black), the counter will continue if you don't keep it turned off to long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts