Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yes you will need one and no, nothing will show up in the DIS, not even the radio stations.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
If your cluster has 3x 32pin connectors, green, grey & blue then you have a can enabled cluster and you will not require the can bus emulator. If it only has 2 connectors then you have no can bus.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I dont know, maybe if you can get the exact part number we could look it up in ETKA.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
According to ELSAWIN, your car should have canbus for infotainment on pins 5 & 6 of the blue 32 pin connector.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
craigyb said:
According to ELSAWIN, your car should have canbus for infotainment on pins 5 & 6 of the blue 32 pin connector.
CAN may not be active until it gets enabled in the cluster

#17 Channel 62 (Highline cluster only)

-> MY 2001:
+00001 - with RNS-D
+00002 - Phone with MFSW or MFSW only
+00004 - Navigation
+00008 - Telematics

MY 2002 ->:
+00001 - Radio (CAN connected)
+00002 - Phone with MFSW or MFSW only
+00004 - Navigation
+00008 - Telematics

I would say if you can set a value of 5 in #17 channel 62, chances are good that you have a CAN enabled cluster.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
richardi734 said:
Craig I have 3 connectors but which pin is which for the CAN high/low pin 5 or 6 of the blue connector?
5 - high
6 - low

According to Elsawin

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Sorry what a donkey I am....

T32b - 32-pin connector, grey, on dash panel insert

Grey connector, the T32b threw me and I thought it was blue.....

Craig

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave it a go on pin 5 & 6 on the grey connector and there appears to be no CAN there I tried both both ways.

I have given up with the CAN, I guess I will just have to listen or turn my head to the left. :lol:

Everything works OK with the CAN simulator except the display brightness won't adjust, It changes to night OK ...I guess I'm doing something silly.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
If it doesnt change when you turn your lights on, two things, 1 have you got the lighting feed from the cluster or some lights to tell the canbus simulator to turn the lights on the RNS-E and if you have, then 2, have you set the display to automatic switching night/day on the RNS-E navigation setup.

Craig

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Is the cluster adaptation channel 62 set to 5 to enable radio & nav on the canbus?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought I would give tapping into the CAN bus behind the cluster another go. I had already coded the cluster and tapped into pin 5 high, pin 6 low of the grey connector.

Turned the radio on without ignition and entered the code. I then reset the unit turned it off and on to check that the code entry page didn't pop back up again. It didn't so turn the ignition on and guess what, some navi instructions in the lower half of the DIS. I haven't checked that the radio info etc comes up in the top section as fuel light up and car it bits but it should.

Anyway a :D me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Awesome now I just need a car...

Steve

richardi734 said:
I thought I would give tapping into the CAN bus behind the cluster another go. I had already coded the cluster and tapped into pin 5 high, pin 6 low of the grey connector.

Turned the radio on without ignition and entered the code. I then reset the unit turned it off and on to check that the code entry page didn't pop back up again. It didn't so turn the ignition on and guess what, some navi instructions in the lower half of the DIS. I haven't checked that the radio info etc comes up in the top section as fuel light up and car it bits but it should.

Anyway a :D me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.