Audi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

This forum seems to be extremely helpful, even to noobs like me. Consequently, I'm hoping you guys might be able to provide some advice. I'm admitting up-front that I am mechanically obtuse, so please bear me with as I ask my silly (and to you, obvious) questions. :)

I have an '05 6-speed Gallardo. I have the standard Lambo faceplate / unit. Initially, I thought about just installing an iPod connector (current wireless modulator setup is awful), but now I am thinking about installing the full RNS-E unit. I have searched the archives, but the information provided has generally pertained to '06 or SE issues.

I am located in Manhattan, NY.

A couple of questions for the board:

1. How easy is to install the Audi RNS-E unit. I understand from another board that there is some trimming around the edges that needs to be done, but that it is generally a plug and play operation, and that everthing works, including the center display around the dash.

2. Can you reprogram so it doesn't show up as Audi on startup, but blank or Lambo?

3. How easy is it to connect XM, Bluetooth, video peripherals (DVD, etc.), although I must admit this is secondary in nature.

4. If done by an experienced installer, how long would the procedure take.

5. Any other points that would be helpful for me to understand relating to the install.

Rides to anybody that can help or provide guidance. :)

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Hi,

I just finished install on my friend's Gallardo. It is the same as any Audi.
I will be going for installations in NY, Boston and Southern New Hampshire between July 4th-7th
I'm staying in Manhattan for few days so If you are interested
I can do your car as well. I have packages for your Lambo in stock.

contact me via email if you are interested ;)

1. How easy is to install the Audi RNS-E unit. I understand from another board that there is some trimming around the edges that needs to be done, but that it is generally a plug and play operation, and that everthing works, including the center display around the dash.

Yes you will need to trim faceplate and round corners.
Installation is plus and play but you will need VAG tool to recode DIS

2. Can you reprogram so it doesn't show up as Audi on startup, but blank or Lambo?

Yes, once code is changed, new Lambo startup screen will show up.

3. How easy is it to connect XM, BT, video peripherals (DVD, etc.), although I must admit this is secondary in nature.

Fairly easy, but you will need to find good spot for interfcae boxes

4. If done by an experienced installer, how long would the procedure take.

Just RNS-E, about 40-60 minutes

This is one of my converted units (before faceplate trimming)

[siteimg:b4ee331d88]565[/siteimg:b4ee331d88]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another solution is to order the Lambo version of the RNS-E. This will avoid any trimming or cutting and will not say Audi on the faceplate. Installation in my '04 Gallardo was quite straightforward and a wonderful addition to the car.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Of course Lamborghini unit would be the best choice (see pic below) but very expensive in the same time.

[siteimg:287d17d832]566[/siteimg:287d17d832]

Difference is pretty much cosmetic ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chuck. Alex was very helpful too. To your point, would appreciate an idea of what was the cost and source was for the Lambo-specific unit? PM if you'd like.

Given that it was a Lambo unit, was it literally plug-and-play, or did you have to buy adapters and the like too.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The satellite radio will not function when the unit is coded for Lamborghini.

I also just finished up another Gallardo in the Miami area, keep an eye on my website for pictures later this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NSX JR said:
The satellite radio will not function when the unit is coded for Lamborghini.

I also just finished up another Gallardo in the Miami area, keep an eye on my website for pictures later this week.
Thanks NSX JR. Rather than getting an icelink for an iPod, thought I would just use the SD Card slots . I understand that you can't actually see the artist / song information if using an icelink, just the track data.

Any reason you'd get an icelink iPod connector other than saving yourself the hassle of transfering the data onto your SD Cards?

Look forward to the updates on your site.

Best.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Ice link or any other external MP3 player is always connected via CDC wires and there is no IDtags sent to RNS-E.

your iPod screen will look like tis

Your SD card will transfer IDtags from MP3 files and your navigation will read titles. Also you will be able to create folders and categorize your songs.

Your screen with SD cards will look like this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PROXUS said:
Ice link or any other external MP3 player is always connected via CDC wires and there is no IDtags sent to RNS-E.

your iPod screen will look like tis

Your SD card will transfer IDtags from MP3 files and your navigation will read titles. Also you will be able to create folders and categorize your songs.

Your screen with SD cards will look like this:
Proxus - is there anything you don't know - :)

dhayek on L-Power mentioned that he was having trouble with the SD card reading some of the songs, and he attributed that to an ID Tag issue. Once he stripped the ID Tags he had no problem. Why would that be case? An older version unit?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
IDtags need to be properly formatted. Different software use different protocols to write IDtags into MP3 header. All of them are 99.999% compatible but sometimes file got corrupted. RNS-E Mp3 player is picky and it will reject MP3 file in few cases:

- when ID tag is corrupted
- when MP3 doesn't have silent frames in the front and the end of timeline (usually 0.5-1 sec)
- IDtag contain special characters not recognized by RNS-E

I use Itunes to write IDTags but there is few different apps out there just for that (cleaning and writing)

I don't really expect any problems with MP3s converted straight from CD but If you ever have any problem with particular song, the best way is to open it in SoundForge or any other editor and save it again. This method ficed few of my songs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts