Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
for those who can not find a replacement, there is good news.

It seems that Opel Astra H, Vectra C and Zafira B have the same display, together with CD70/DVD90 navigation units.
Opel PN is KS 13111166. (Opel CID Color Info Display)

The PN of the actual LCD is slightly different LTA065B090D. RNS-E has LTA065B091D.

Because the display is sold separately from the Navi unit, it is easier to find, than to find somebody with a broken RNS-E, but with an intact display.

Lauri

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Nice find. Did you actually try to install such a display in a RNS-E? Any pictures? Any information about costs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirmed it is working.

Yes I can confirm it is working.
I did that replacement on my US unit for ~100EUR plus shipping.
It is basically a one to one swap.

You can see some pics of the LCD by clicking here.

Lauri

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Cool. This is the Opel LCD if I understood correctly:

I will check tonight how my RNS-E LCD looks from the back. Nice find anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is the Opel LCD.

The only difference you will notice from the RNS-E display is that Opel LCD has an extra connector CN002. The RNS-E one does not have that mounted. Both of them have the same metal cover, which needs to be removed to see the PCB.

Lauri

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Search the German eBay

Do a search on German eBay for example.
Type in Opel CID or Opel farbdisplay.
You'll get plenty of sellers.

Lauri
P.S. Just make sure it is the color screen TFT, not some graphic LCD.
I found out that the best way to know, which one it is, is to look for the extra connector on the back of the Opel PCB.
[/img]

·
Registered
31 Posts
So this suggest my an idea: we can make a small interface between our RNS-E and its display, so we can send video to the display without any other hardware (video in motion, rear camera, etc)

What do you think about this? I'm going to buy a display to make the develop.

Regards

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I guess Lauri is right, the RNS-E display looks pretty much the same:

It's pretty cool to read what this guy did in his Astra and having a second video in sounds very nice as well. One question though would be how to handle audio and automated switching. For the use as revers camera this may be reasonable easy to do because there is no sound. But as second video source you would need audio as well. The only option I can think of is to use the TV mode and a manual switch to turn on the secodn video in.

However, maybe there are other hidden features in the RNS-E we could use instead. Like the reverse camera input in the Lamboghini.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick Directions...

1. Unload the display.
3. Remove 3 screws holding the display assembly to the load/unload tray.
4. Unhook the flat cable from the zif connector:

5. Remove the 2 screws holding the plastic frame.
6. Remove the screws holding the display to the frame.

And then reverse the directions to install the new display.

Lauri

·
Registered
128 Posts
Little help, I am trying to ask a seller if they can ship a screen to the US. Anyone knwo how to say "Will you ship to the US?" in German?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
CZVT07 said:
Little help, I am trying to ask a seller if they can ship a screen to the US. Anyone knwo how to say "Will you ship to the US?" in German?
Thanks
"Verschicken Sie in die USA?"

·
Registered
31 Posts
In regard to the idea of "splicing" in a video source for video in motion...it seems reasonable enough. Only problem I can see is does it still need to be converted to RGB or will the display handle a standard composite video signal? You could actually hack the audio in as well with a little creativity. It would seem if there is no composite to RGB conversion to be done it should be fairly simple to do a backup camera and an auxillary video input like:

Backup Camera:
-Wire the backup camera to only be powered when the vehicle is in reverse, easy to do by grabbing our power from the reverse wire in the driver kick panel.
-Setup 2 SPDT relays to "hijack" the video signal to our display using a ground and our reverse wire to charge the coil and switch both the - and + signals of our composite source when the vehicle is put in reverse, thus giving us our video from our backup camera whenever the vehicle is in reverse. You may not need to switch the - of the composite video signal, but I'm not positive anyone else have more information on this?

Auxillary Video Source:
-We can "hijack" the audio input to the headunit much the same way we did for our backup camera video source. Using 4 SPDT relays setup on a switch to "hijack" the audio input from our CDC using the NF Audio inputs on the RNS-E using pins B8 and B9 (it would of course require that your RNS-E be on the CD source however)
-The same switch could also be used to trigger another relay to hijack the video to the display which would be wired in front of the backup camera relay so when the relay for our Auxillary video source is charged then that would be the normally closed source on our backup camera relays.

This setup would allow us to do a few things that aren't currently possible such as, fully auto-switching to backup camera without interrupting any other audio playing, video in motion without disrupting navigation (directions would still be audible, speed signal would still be intact, and directions would still be available in the DIS), and connection of an auxillary AV source without the usage of either a 1280 or 1417 (but it would mean flipping a switch, you would already have to switch to the TV source anyway so IMO switching to CD source wouldn't be too much of a nuisance aside from the fact it wouldn't be as straightforward as switching to TV source). If anyone has more information as to whether or not we would need to convert composite video to RBG and the pinouts for the display we could probably get something rolling fairly quickly. I already have a little box I built awhile back that would be a matter of connecting a few wires to test this setup, but I need a little more information as to what is required. If we do in fact need to convert to RGB this will be a bit more complicated so any info that anyone has about converting our video signal would be a great help.

-SixOneS4

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
hi guys, please give me a PM or e-mail when you have seen a screen on ebay.de and they don't want to send it to the US. You can use me as a middle man. Shipping from Germany to The Netherlands to the US is not that much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I suppose that we need RGB, not composite, but this is a small problem. Now I'm searching a display (eBay is "empty") so I can start the tests.

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
anyone have one?

I cracked the display on my RNS-E (damn skis through the ski pass!).

Anyone have a current source for the display? I didn't see any available on german ebay. I've seen some people charging up to $400 for the display - would it be easier for me to buy the entire RNS-E and re-sell with my cracked display?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Confirmed it is working.

lauriv said:
Yes I can confirm it is working.
I did that replacement on my US unit for ~100EUR plus shipping.
It is basically a one to one swap.

You can see some pics of the LCD by clicking here.

Lauri
I wish I could find one for that price. They are still going for 200+EUR everywhere I look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.