Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear member,

I am a Uk member and have recently installed an RNS-E to an Audi estate (avant) 2000 model. I purchased a plug & play adapter and my system works perfectly apart from the 2 problems;

1) The RNS-E shuts down every 30 minutes when powered up. You simply press the 'on' button to power up again. Then exactly 30 minutes later the RNS-e shuts down.

2) When you turn the engine off and remove the key the unit continues to be powered up. You have to manually press the off button to disconnect. Also there is no variation in brightness when lights are switched on unlike the naviplus.

The previous symphony 2 unit and a naviplus worked perfectly. Could it have anything to do with the adapter harness. I contacted the maker and they say all is perfect. I purchased another adapter from a new company and they supplied a similar plug and play with 4 sockets to reconnect the original wiring. The unit works perfectly but again shuts down after 30 mins exactly. This is an annoying fault but I`m sure someone out there must be able to guide me in the next direction. Could it be the live and the live switch on the harness? HELP HELP HELP!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Is your car a B5 A4? What model have you got the RNS-E coded to (ie A6 or A4)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you looked at the PDFs at www.nsxjr.com? Lee has a superb set of files that can help you check if your connector is wired correctly.

I've not heard of the every 30 minutes shutting off but the illumination and power off issues are most likely from not being connnected to the 'infotainment' CAN bus properly (or at all).

Read this thread - http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1003 if you haven't already - it's a great source of info on the A6 avant and RNS-E.

SMF

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The 30 minutes shutting off is also proof that the CAN isn't properly connected - the RNS-E gets signals over the CAN that tells it ignition on/off, key in/out etc. which make it turn on/off when wanted. Without those signals it turns on for 30 minutes and then turns itself off.

This has been talked about many times on this site.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
A 2000 car will not have CAN and you will need to buy a CAN emulator to add CAN to the car, this will fix the lights, ignition and shutdown issues.

Craig

·
Registered
65 Posts
you may have can - but it wont be connected to the radio - do you have a digital clock/calender in your dash? if so then you have can but you need to run the wires fromt the back of the dash insert to the rns-e adapter.

if you have an analog clock then you need the can emulator

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
CAN was only available on 2001 A4 cars, but as there was always a change over period, you may have a cluster that is CAN enabled as Dunk says. What you are looking for is the grey connector on the back of the cluster. Pins 5 (CAN HI) and Pin 6 (CAN LO) are the required pins on the A4 according to ELSAWIN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear members,

I am overwhelmed by the initial support and information to address my technical issue. I would like to clarify that I have a 2000 Audi A6 Avant model 1.9tdi SE 110bhp. The dash has a digital clock and when I connect to the RNS-E the unit syncronizes with the dash. I am not sure if this implies than it is CAN enabled. I also wasn`t aware that the unit has to be coded to an A6. Can anyone advise how this is achieved? As the forum articles have stated their are several open market adapters. I have tried 2 from suppliers - one with 4 connections and one with 3 - both ending in the same result. I have tried searching on e-bay for a CAN emulator to no avail. Does anyone know a European supplier who may be able to offer this.I will continue to read your e-mails and the forum articles and look forward to any further support.

Many thanks

BDM2510

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Your navigation unit is not registered with ECU and car doesn't hold your codes. You need to connect CANs from behind the cluster to CANs in your adapter.
This will fix your problem ;)

It is grey conector
PIN 5 is CAN-High
PIN 6 is CAN-Low

Go to any Audi/WV dealer and buy 2 pins wires for CANbus (Audi Part#: 000-979-018; order a quantity of one and you'll get two pins connected via one wire). This way you can slide them in to connector instead of using wiretaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.