Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken delivery of a Dec 2006 Rs4 UK. Is the Sat NAV plus an RNS-e or an MMI unit. I was working on the premis that it was RNS-e 'cause the photos look like the ones on this forum however when it boots, it comes up with MMI on the first screen.

Which is better ??

cheers
GuyT
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
TDiAvant said:
A3 and A4 are RNS-E, current A6 and A8 are MMI
The Q7 is MMI also.

Which is better is an unanswerable question - you can't have an A3 or A4 with MMI, or an A6, A8 or Q7 with an RNS-E.

MMI is newer and more flexible, and you can get a DVB TV tuner for MMI but not for the RNS-E.

According to rumours the B8 A4 will have MMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PetrolDave said:
TDiAvant said:
A3 and A4 are RNS-E, current A6 and A8 are MMI
The Q7 is MMI also.

Which is better is an unanswerable question - you can't have an A3 or A4 with MMI, or an A6, A8 or Q7 with an RNS-E.

MMI is newer and more flexible, and you can get a DVB TV tuner for MMI but not for the RNS-E.

According to rumours the B8 A4 will have MMI.
Well my RS4 definately says MMI when it boots up ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
The RNS-E boot screen says MMI, but it's definitely an RNS-E in the RS4. Audi uses the name MMI generically to refer to the knob-driven user interface that both the RNS-E and the integrated Navs in the C6 and D3 use. Around here however, people refer to only the C6 and D3 integrated Navs as "MMI" to avoid confusion.

As to which is better, I have used both the RNS-E I installed in my S6 and the integrated MMI nav in my wife's A6 Avant and I can tell you without hesitation that the RNS-E nav is hands down superior. The RNS-E has many useful features lacking in the MMI Nav such as the split screen turn list and playing MP3s off of SD cards, it gives voice guidance more often and in a more timely manner, and it seems to have fewer bugs than the MMI nav.

Long story short, your RS4 has the RNS-E, and you can be glad for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ktkemp said:
The RNS-E boot screen says MMI, but it's definitely an RNS-E in the RS4. Audi uses the name MMI generically to refer to the knob-driven user interface that both the RNS-E and the integrated Navs in the C6 and D3 use. Around here however, people refer to only the C6 and D3 integrated Navs as "MMI" to avoid confusion.

As to which is better, I have used both the RNS-E I installed in my S6 and the integrated MMI nav in my wife's A6 Avant and I can tell you without hesitation that the RNS-E nav is hands down superior. The RNS-E has many useful features lacking in the MMI Nav such as the split screen turn list and playing MP3s off of SD cards, it gives voice guidance more often and in a more timely manner, and it seems to have fewer bugs than the MMI nav.

Long story short, your RS4 has the RNS-E, and you can be glad for it.
Yes, it appears so, I have just checked the DVD and it says RNS-e on it.

cheers
GuyT
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
guyt said:
PetrolDave said:
TDiAvant said:
A3 and A4 are RNS-E, current A6 and A8 are MMI
The Q7 is MMI also.

Which is better is an unanswerable question - you can't have an A3 or A4 with MMI, or an A6, A8 or Q7 with an RNS-E.

MMI is newer and more flexible, and you can get a DVB TV tuner for MMI but not for the RNS-E.

According to rumours the B8 A4 will have MMI.
Well my RS4 definately says MMI when it boots up ....
This is all caused by some "Marketing" person at Audi saying "let's make the RNS-E display MMI when it starts up because it uses an "MMI-like" user interface (i.e. one big wheel and some soft keys)".

This question gets asked by new and confused owners (just like yourself) on a VERY regular basis, already dozens and dozens of times on this forum.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top