Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to numerous scratches on my original RNS-E screen, I bought a replacement screen.

The replacement itself went okay, but I am noticing one issue. For whatever reason, the new screen does not dim. My old screen was able to dim with either the manual control, or when outside light conditions changed. Not so with the new one - it is ALWAYS VERY BRIGHT, even at night in "night mode".

I looked over both screens and noticed that the new screen has a slightly different part number. The old screen was a NEP70-AB091. The "new" (replacement) screen is a NEP70-AB090. I also noticed that the replacement screen has an extra two-wire connector next to the ribbon cable connector. Not so with the old screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
This was talked about a while ago, there is an Opel/GM CID that fits the RNS-E but doesn't have the dimming feature. You may be able to swap the electronics or may need to return the device and get a real RNS-E display and not an Opel CID.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That's not 100 % true and I can confirm it.
I made the test today and installed 2 different opel displays (90d) in 2 rns-e systems.
Made the test with a 2007 Q version A4 ==> display works and the dimming is working, when the lights are on, the display dimms automatically.
Made the test with a TT unit from 2008 => display works like the original.
Made the test this evening also with a 2006 a3 unit => display also works.

I think it's maybe a problem of the older units which are probably not compatible with this 90d display of Toshiba. I would say try it in another unit a newer version.

regards rabbit

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's good news. Do you happen to remember what HW version you successfully tested with the Opel CID? maybe HW 7x supports the Opel CID but HW 5x doesn't.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rabbit,
It dims, but not full range, because the RNS-E does not know, what the level of the current brightness of the backlight is. Here is the rework, which needs to be done to connect the light sensing diode to the RNS-E, which in Opel is wired to the connector instead.

Lauri

That's not 100 % true and I can confirm it.
I made the test today and installed 2 different opel displays (90d) in 2 rns-e systems.
Made the test with a 2007 Q version A4 ==> display works and the dimming is working, when the lights are on, the display dimms automatically.
Made the test with a TT unit from 2008 => display works like the original.
Made the test this evening also with a 2006 a3 unit => display also works.

I think it's maybe a problem of the older units which are probably not compatible with this 90d display of Toshiba. I would say try it in another unit a newer version.

regards rabbit

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RNS-E Dimming Feature

Lauri,

I tried to make this change (per the pictures attached to your post), but it still doesn't work. I confirmed that my solder connections were correct and was able to test for continuity along the circuit. After connecting it to my RNS-E, the display still won't dim.

Do you have any other information about this change? Perhaps I am missing something? I checked several times to be sure that I made the changes correctly, and I confirmed that everything is 100% correct.

Thanks!
Craig...

Rabbit,
It dims, but not full range, because the RNS-E does not know, what the level of the current brightness of the backlight is. Here is the rework, which needs to be done to connect the light sensing diode to the RNS-E, which in Opel is wired to the connector instead.

Lauri

·
Registered
73 Posts
1. What is the brightness level set to in display settings?
2. An easy way to check if the control is working is, when it is dark outside, shine a flashlight to the instruments panel (cluster), where the main light sensor is and see if the display backlight changes.
3. Lastly Measure the voltage of the Pin #5 against GND and let me know what it is.

Lauri

Lauri,

I tried to make this change (per the pictures attached to your post), but it still doesn't work. I confirmed that my solder connections were correct and was able to test for continuity along the circuit. After connecting it to my RNS-E, the display still won't dim.

Do you have any other information about this change? Perhaps I am missing something? I checked several times to be sure that I made the changes correctly, and I confirmed that everything is 100% correct.

Thanks!
Craig...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Display Ribbon Cable

If you don't mind I chime in, can someone direct me to a procedure that outlines how to dis-mandle the RNS-E in a way that I can change the display ribbon cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rabbit,

Lauri
Where is this part you are soldering for the "rework" located? Is it in the display electronics or what?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes this rework is on the PCB of the display itself.
Lauri
Hey Lauri,

You said your replacement display before the rework "dimmed." But the rework made the dimming better or across a more broad range.

My screen doesn't dim at all, so I was wondering if you think that the rework will still work? Also, what gauge wire did you use for the rework?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Lauri,

You said your replacement displayed before the rework "dimmed." But the rework made the dimming better or across a more broad range.

My screen doesn't dim at all, so I was wondering if you think that the rework will still work? Also, what gauge wire did you use for the rework?

Thanks,
Dennis
My replacement screen was an Opel CD/DVD 90 screen.
They have the screen sensor wired to external connector, hence the rework to route it back to the main connector.

If your screen is original RNS-E screen, then this rework will not help.

Assuming your screen is original RNS-E screen, I would try to see if the sensor next to the speed gauge is working. When dark, shine a flashlight at it and see what happens.

Lauri

·
Registered
20 Posts
My replacement screen was an Opel CD/DVD 90 screen.
They have the screen sensor wired to external connector, hence the rework to route it back to the main connector.

If your screen is original RNS-E screen, then this rework will not help.

Assuming your screen is original RNS-E screen, I would try to see if the sensor next to the speed gauge is working. When dark, shine a flashlight at it and see what happens.

Lauri
When dark and I flash a light at the sensor, the RNS-E screen does not get brighter. How would I know if the screen is from an Opel or another where it is controlled by an external controller? Is this only possible by taking the screen off the unit? What gauge wiring did you use to "rework" the connections?

·
Registered
73 Posts
When dark and I flash a light at the sensor, the RNS-E screen does not get brighter. How would I know if the screen is from an Opel or another where it is controlled by an external controller? Is this only possible by taking the screen off the unit? What gauge wiring did you use to "rework" the connections?
I assume, the speed and RPM gauge did get brighter, when you flashed the sensor.

Anyway, see the pics I had posted earlier, if you have the connector CN002, then it is from Opel. Yes you have to remove the screen, to see the back of it. The AWG of the wire is not important. Use what you are comfortable with.

Lauri

·
Registered
20 Posts
I assume, the speed and RPM gauge did get brighter, when you flashed the sensor.

Anyway, see the pics I had posted earlier, if you have the connector CN002, then it is from Opel. Yes you have to remove the screen, to see the back of it. The AWG of the wire is not important. Use what you are comfortable with.

Lauri
I dont remember it getting brighter, I will check out the screen one of these days when I have more time...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just did Lauriv's "rework" and the screen still does not dim. My lcd panel was from an Opel and has the Part No. NEP70-AB090. I see some watermarks on the lower side of the PCB of the display meaning it was probably wet at one point and dried up. While the screen works, the brightness/dimming module for the lcd was probably fried. I doubt that my light sensor on the instrument cluster is messed up since it hasn't been touched at all since I got the car.

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a Vag-Com control for the light sensor in the instrument cluster? Maybe it isn't activated?!?!

Also, anyone know a source for a RNS-E display that has been tested and in full working condition?

Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried Lauriv's "rework" as well. If it dims , its very negligible. Looking at the old 091 part, i cant understand how those points need to be connected. In any case. Im just greatful to have my screen back. If you're careful, you can swap the screens without taking out your sat nav.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i may have spoken too soon. when i set it on the lowest setting, turn off my car, and restart it a few min later. It did seem dimmer. Then I would turn it up and turn it back down but it didnt seem to go back to its initial lowest setting. My eyes could be play tricks on me :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts