Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, long time observer of these forums (I posted this same issue in audizine forum/tech/telematics but have not got much response yet) . I have to say that the information in these forums have been truly invaluable to this new 2005 Audi S4 B6 Silver Cabriolet owner

No modifications yet but I know the first one will be a RNS-E unit with bluetooth for my Motorola Q which I absolutely love (previous Samsung i730 owner but too much computing power not enough phone functionality for me).

Anyways one of the advantages of the Motorola Q is the ability to stream satellite TV, live broadcasts, and DVR recordings from home by way of slingbox and EVDO connection.

Wouldn't it be nice to connect the Motorola Q to the multimedia adapter (Dietz 1417 I believe) for the RNS-E so you could view above mentioned content on the navigation screen. It seems that all you would need is a 5 pin mini usb to RCA cable to interface the motorola Q with its EVDO and the RNS-E by way of the Dietz 1417

Have not found any posts on this so I thought i might ask the experts. Would love to watch my direct tv shows especially premiership soccer on my navigation unit while I am waiting on my daughters to get in the car after practice

Any takers for this proposition

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you find that mini USB to RCA cable you'll be golden. Just be sure to get your unit coded for Video in motion so your friends can also watch while you drive.

PS-The Q is terrible with the Audi bluetooth, it keeps disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting, reconnecting from the car about every third time I get in to drive somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
same here, Lee. If the Q weren't so multifaceted I'd be back on my E815 in a heartbeat.

apparently this is a verified problem with the Q. Over at qusers.com there's a lengthy thread about the Q's tendency to reboot after three bluetooth pairings.

Rumor has it there's an upcoming firmware update coinciding with the introduction of the black Q on Verizon.

mikeky, have you posted at qusers? maybe someone over there knows of a mini usb-RCA cable in the works?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
derekpowell said:
same here, Lee. If the Q weren't so multifaceted I'd be back on my E815 in a heartbeat.

apparently this is a verified problem with the Q. Over at qusers.com there's a lengthy thread about the Q's tendency to reboot after three bluetooth pairings.

Rumor has it there's an upcoming firmware update coinciding with the introduction of the black Q on Verizon.

mikeky, have you posted at qusers? maybe someone over there knows of a mini usb-RCA cable in the works?
Let me know when that happens, I don't keep up with that stuff very well but I would love to have a phone that works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mikey,
I have been thining the same thing. As a matter of a fact I talked to Lee about this when he put in my Btooth module. The key is how do we get an AV out from the phones. I havent see one and I am not sure it is even possible. I thougt maybe through the memory slot. I have a Samsung i730 which is a pocket PC but I hae been thinking if I can get thid to work the kids can watch Disney in the back. I might post on the pdaphonehome to see what they say. They are the phone experts.
[/url]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow-up from original question

I have looked into this issue further on multiple forums and I am happy to report that I am not the only one interested in this idea.

The perfect solution would be for slingmedia to make software for the RNS-E so it could be hooked to a mobile EVDO router eliminating the need for the phone.

But alas, I don't know if this will happen anytime soon so others on the slingmedia website have begun installing computers with EVDO cards in their cars and using the screen to view satellite tv on the go. To me this is an unacceptable solution for a problem that deserves further investigation.

On the Quser site I did find information on a video output for the memory slot on the Q as you suggested. It is made by Spectec Computor Co [www.spectec.com.tw] but it does not appear to provide real time images. It was made to project powerpoint slides stored on the Q to an external monitor through a VGA, s-video, or composite video connection. I have read reviews on the product as well that have not been flattering.

I was wondering what type of video inputs the Dietz 1417 or any other multimedia adapter for the RNS-E (Kufatec GmbH) has so i can continue my search for a usable video output for the Motorola Q.

By the way I have talked to my Audi dealer about the poor interface between th Q and Audi bluetooth kits and they suggest that it is a Motorola issue. I know Motorola has issued additional firmware upgrades and maybe this will cure the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've downloaded the MOL2 update from the Motorola website and performance has noticeably improved. The battery life is much, much better and the response is a bit snappier.

Most important, the bluetooth connection with the audi seems to be a bit more stable. Not perfect by any means, but it doesn't seem to reset as frequently.

Here's the link if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thanks for the link. This new firmware is a definite improvement.

-The contacts/call lists load up MUCH faster into the car.

-The contacts now show a M, W, H, etc. after the name to indicate mobile, work, or home number. Useful for multiple contact numbers per name.

-Doesn't crash the phone every other time I get in the car :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts