1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
That is a MOST (fibre optic) AMI so it is NOT suitable for your car. You need the CAN interface version of AMI e.g. 8P0 835 785B.

Yes you will also need a cable like that one on eBay, and you will also need access to VCDS to recode the RNS-E (to tell it that AMI is fitted).

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I had the AMI CAN 8P0 035 785 in use with my SEAT RNS-E, worked great for the last 4 years. That eBay adapter looks correct, at least it has the right plugs. Has to be an 8xx AMI, anything 4xx is MOST. Not sure if the 8T0 will work in a car without CAN gateway but the 8P0 did.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Not to discourage you but if this is confusing then you shouldn't try the retrofit. Nobody will tell you exactly what to do or get. Everything said or posted is based on personal experience, only very few posting here have experience with installs in multiple cars and configurations.

The A6 4B never had a MKII RNS-E, so there is no factory config to compare with. There are several different RNS-E MKII that behave different. Some coding is not possible on certain RNS-E while it works fine on others. Not all 193 RNS-E are MKII or behave the same.

You will need to start with a confirmed working config and go from there. In your case I would start with the 8P0 AMI and see if that works. If it doesn't you may need to replace the RNS-E or find another AMI and try again. You may need another vehicle to confirm that a combination that doesn't work in your car works in a different car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not necessary discouraged, I have been dealing with coding and hardware on the RNS-E 192 and 193 for years and every time it's a PIA!!

When I purchased the 193, it's had it's share of problems to be sure, like having to change it to Lambo mode so can get the back up camera (which is glitchy) Or, it has problems booting because of the DVD.

I have an'08 A6 that has the MMI 2G and I thought it would be nice to have most of those functions in the Allroad via a AMI module. I have all the coding tools, skills..

In the end, I guess I'm having to decide whether to go with the AMI /8P0 module or just to start over with an after market radio........

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Go with the 8P0 module.

I fitted that to my B7 nearly 4 years ago and it works perfectly with my 8P0 MkII RNS-E (which is fitted with a B6/B7 faceplate).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts