Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I have an RNS-E in my 2004 Audi Allroad 2.4L. My previous RNS-E died thanks to (it seems) a faulty EEPROM, which I have since replaced. (I hope to post instructions later.) In the interim, I have one nagging issue that remains:

When I am using the radio or iPod and I use the left-hand up/down buttons on the MFSW (multi function steering wheel), I get approximately ten rapid clicks (almost like a turn signal) and then the unit changes the channel (if I'm playing the radio) up or down, depending on what button is pressed on the steering wheel.

The ticking is directly related to the RNS-E as it comes through the speakers. If turn the volume up, the volume of the ticking sound increases. If I turn the volume down...you get the point. It seems to have no effect on anything else in the unit. It functions perfectly other than producing the ticking sound.

Again, I have a feeling that this is either a VAG issue (I have a VAG cable and can change codes as necessary but as far as I can tell, my codes are correct) or a wiring issue. Having replaced the EEPROM, there's not much more hardware to fix/replace in the RNS-E.

So that's it. Anyone have any thoughts about a ticking RNS-E?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This is very strange. I don't see how a wiring problem could cause a ticking when you use the MFSW. MAYBE if there was a short between your CAN lines and one of your speaker wires. Also, does this happen only for ipod and satellite radio, or is it for FM radio and SD cars as well? If only for ipod and sat radio, this could point to a short in your audio input wires.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think this is likely to be a screening / grounding problem. The ticking is probably just the data signal from the MFSW which is finding its way into the audio cables (inductive).

If it's only on the left channel then that narrows it down, check the audio cable screening / earthling connections.

Try repositioning, if possible, the audio wires away from the rest, a ferrite ring (two semi circular ferrite blocks in a clip together plastic housing) can help filter out the interference, but it’s more likely to be a poor earth / screening problem.

I had a similar problem on my Renault, it took a lot of trial and error to find the right cable to filter.

Dave.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RNS screening/grounding issue

Dave,

Thanks for your reply, that's a very helpful suggestion. My next question is really one of priority. I'll certainly start trying to figure out if the MFSW to audio is the problem, but as far as you're aware, should I be concerned about this in terms of the RNS-E unit shorting out (or the equivalent) or is it simply annoying?

Obviously, annoying means it's less of an immediate task while shorting out etc. means it rises on the list.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well that's the big question ! :!:

Please don’t hold me to this, but if it were something shorting, I would expect something not to be working as a result of the short. A switch that does nothing, a feature you can't get or change, etc.

So, if you are satisfied that ALL functions / switched / speakers / etc are fully functional, then I would not expect to find a short, which invariably would stop something from working.

Also, if the RNS-E has been opened, i.e. to have the EEPROM replaced, the earthing problem could actually be inside the RNS-E itself.

I know this is easier said than done, but by swapping units over, like trying a different RNS-E, different wiring harness, etc., you can quickly eliminate possible areas where the fault might be hiding. The more you eliminate, as not being the fault, the easier it will get to eventually find it. :idea:

Dave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts