Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my RNS-E installed in B6 S4 Avant. It didn't go without problems, but these forums really helped. Some words of wisdom for Avant-types doing similar work:

You will need a new XM receiver if your receiver model ends in "A" not "E" (that is likely if you have a 2004 like me). These can be had off of ebay for 200-300 bucks.

Be prepared to disassemble lots of interior trim to replace your XM Receiver ( including cargo area, left side, moulding, rear seats), if you dont have a Bentley Factory Repair Manual, get one (ross tech has them for sale).

I opted for Sharkfin extension, definitly not a trivial exercise to run the wire from back to front (at least if you want to do it professionally). I recommend using sharkfin though...great reception in the cities and faster refreshes. Tough call though...was a pain in butt as opposed to just placing a GPS wire in / on the dash.

I also invested in a VAG COM (also from ross tech). They are pricey, but if you want the integration in the Color DIS, you'll need one (or at least access to one). If anyone is in Reno, Nevada area you are welcome to use mine.

Be weary of Plug n Play adapters: Mine had an unneeded TEL MUTE wire in D-11. If you don't know what that means, then buy from a good vendor like NSXJR or Proxus. I didn't, wasn't a big deal, but required me to study my adapter very well and ultimately to clip the D11 wire because it was causing weird perma-mute behavior on my RNSE and "power noise".

I bought a European model, recoded for use in north america. Got it for 900 off ebay (risky, but mine seems fine).Be careful with ebay though, i've been burned before buying Valentine 1, etc. Just use a good credit card and you know you'll be protected, at least from "dead on arrivals". Again, comfort level will dictate. NSXJR is your friend and a good source of parts. I'm just cheap and wanted to save some cash to put towards my downpipes :)

Like i mentioned above, i had an initial issue installing it because a weird feedback/buzzing noise (caused by the TEL MUTE wire), and everything was in french. Easy 5 minute fix and the head unit was functional.

Also, i bought a DICE iPod adapter, but i'd think twice unless you are 1) willing to lose your Satellite radio or 2) willing to send it to TeddyBGame for rewiring. I may just sell mine...anyone want one? 140 bucks plus shipping.

Hit me back if you have any questions or anything, i have learned alot by doing it myself!

Peace out

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Might be worth putting a post in "For Sale" for your DICE adapter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi,

Did your Avant have a factory fitted colour DIS, or is that something you have fitted, I hope to play with one of those next, but no one else seems to have done this unless they have changed the whole cluster - not sure why though ?.

I have had my RNS-E fitted for about a week now, so I'm still learning how to drve it.

Regards, Dave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DIS was pre-installed

Dave.G6HNI said:
Hi,

Did your Avant have a factory fitted colour DIS, or is that something you have fitted, I hope to play with one of those next, but no one else seems to have done this unless they have changed the whole cluster - not sure why though ?.

I have had my RNS-E fitted for about a week now, so I'm still learning how to drive it.

Regards, Dave.
It had the color DIS pre-installed. I just pulled my head unit, installed RNS, run/connect cables, swap xm rcvr, and VAG'd the car to recognize the RNS (Instruments [17] | Adaptation [10], changed channel 63 value from 17 to 21).

It's an intuitive interface...too bad it's not a touch screen though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes I have been using a TomTom Go and I want to keep touching the screen too.

I collected all the possible VAG codes and produced an Excel spreadsheet matrix so that I could easily try different setting. I put it on my web site, just in case it was of any use to any one else http://www.daveg6hni.f9.co.uk/downloads/AUDI_CODES_via_VGA-COM.xls

The only annoying thing I have not been able to resolve is "Shuffle Mode", on my Concert I had the CD set permanently to Shuffle mode or Random.

Although I can set the CD & MP3 to Shuffle it reverts back to sequential play every time I turn it off, very annoying !

Dave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave.G6HNI said:
Yes I have been using a TomTom Go and I want to keep touching the screen too.

I collected all the possible VAG codes and produced an Excel spreadsheet matrix so that I could easily try different setting. I put it on my web site, just in case it was of any use to any one else http://www.daveg6hni.f9.co.uk/downloads/AUDI_CODES_via_VGA-COM.xls

The only annoying thing I have not been able to resolve is "Shuffle Mode", on my Concert I had the CD set permanently to Shuffle mode or Random.

Although I can set the CD & MP3 to Shuffle it reverts back to sequential play every time I turn it off, very annoying !

Dave.
Very handy spreadsheet, thanks! I haven't really spent enough time with the RNS yet to find it's little annoyances but sounds like you found one :) I can tell you the XM placement in Avants is the biggest annoyance yet...quite an effort just to get to that little box.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sound like the TV module is going to be a challange too,it looks like the Diversity FM Amps need to be replaced with wide band ones that incluse TV frequencies plus a 4 way directional aerial diverter and loads of new cables and on mine the aerials are in the boot lid !

I'm still researching the full requirements.

Dave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave.G6HNI said:
Sound like the TV module is going to be a challange too,it looks like the Diversity FM Amps need to be replaced with wide band ones that incluse TV frequencies plus a 4 way directional aerial diverter and loads of new cables and on mine the aerials are in the boot lid !

I'm still researching the full requirements.

Dave.
That's an ambitious project Dave, good luck! Have you or anyone else here installed a rearview camera? Would be interested in any pointers. Might be too much trouble for what it's worth.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have seen several posts along those lines but did not take any notes, you have to overcome the speed sensor to get "video in Motion" this can be done by just interrupting the signal or by adding a switch, but both these methods can cause the sat nav to become less accurate. The favoured method appears to have the RNS-E recoded and that means sending it off to one of several people that monitor this site.

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3446

Then all you have to do is install a video input, you will find several posts describing alternative methods.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Dave.G6HNI said:
you have to overcome the speed sensor to get "video in Motion" this can be done by just interrupting the signal or by adding a switch
That's only true on the very few RNS-E installations that have a separate speed wire i.e. those where the RNS-E is coded for an A6.

Where the RNS-E is coded for any other vehicle type the speed signal is received as a CAN message, so a "black box" that removes the speed signal from the CAN is needed - such as a Dietz 1280.

As Dave.G6HNI says the big downside of both these methods is that removing the speed signal stops the "dead reckoning" feature of the RNS-E from working AND reduces the update rate of the position marker on the screen (some cases have been reported of it only updating once per minute), so if you want video-in-motion AND truly working navigation then the only method is to have the V-I-M coding done to your RNS-E.

(Actually V-I-M was easier on the old CD based RNS-D because that had 2 speed inputs - one for V-I-M and another for navigation.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts