Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out a music cd and the sd card and went to put it back in about an hour later and now my screen won't move down, any ideas on what i can do? TIA

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If the unit powers off completely it should close the screen on its own. A reset or removal of the fuse may help to complete restart the unit.

If you have a VAG-COM you can check if the screnn mechanism is somehow blocked, check #37 channel 69, a value of 200 woudl indicate a blocked display mechanism. You should also check for any fault that is logged for #37.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Press the RADIO and SETUP button the same time and keep them pressed until the system restarts. The display will slide back automatically.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to reset it but that did not do anything. I checked the connections at the back, pulled out the fuse, took it to audi and got them to hook up VAG-COM to it and nothing, anyone else ever experience this or have any suggestions as to what i can do.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
So it doesn't turn on at all? If all the fuses are OK that the only cause for this could be a dead PSU.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does turn on and i can sometimes get past the disclaimer screen when i do i can see that clock is functioning but none of the buttons are working so i cant get into setup or anything. what is a PSU?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
A PSU is a Power Supply Unit but since it turns on, the PSU is likely not dead. I guess now it's time to start with the basics: What car? What RNS-E? Anything done with it recently? All CD/SD media removed?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Ok, if it turns on it should be possible to connect to the unit via VAG-COM. Even if it doesn't turn on it may still power up and go into standby which would allow you to connect via VAG-COM. You said Audi found nothing but they were able to connect to it, correct? Did they check the faults and is that what's "nothing"?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, getting connected to the unit is probably the next step before you can get any further. If the firmware took a shot, upgrading/downgrading the unit may work. But that requires a working VAG-COM connection. I think you are at a point where you should see someone who can check the hardware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
RNS-E Crash

The Audi Dealers have a flash update disk which can update to 0040. This is a good place to start. Disc is not a nav disc, but a software update disc. Last unit that crashed on me, this disc brought it back from the abyss. Then I just stuck in the 0110 disc and VOILA. Bad news is most Audi Techs are lost when it comes to these units. Last guy I helped spent $250 at his local LA dealer for nothing. Was straightened out in 10 min.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is no need for a special software update CD unless you really want the 0040 software. sw 0020 is on the 1A DVD and sw 0110 is on the 2A DVD. If the unit is already at sw 0110, the 0040 CD won't do any good unless you change channel 97 to 1 to force a sw update to happen. 0040 was only good for all thos units that came originally with sw 0020 and before the 2A got released.

I case someone wants to have his dealer try the update CD, the part number should be 8E0 906 961 K for the 0040 US sw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this morning i get into my car and the unit powers on, i press the screen button thinking i'd be dissapointed and are you kidding me the unit works but only for a min. The screen slides down and i put my SD card in, put the screen back up and everything works fine for all of 10 seconds, my buttons stop working again but the music is playing. The only thing that would work is my steering wheel to control the volume and tracks. The power button on the unit also worked but this time when i turned it back on i couldnt get past the disclaimer screen cuz the large knob wouldnt work. None of the other buttons (nav, radio seteup etc) work either. I am soo confused as to what is wrong with this thing as it looks like it has a mind of its own.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sounds like the harness between the faceplate to the main board became loose or broken. Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
yep, check the connection between the faceplate and the unit. You can reach this connector very easily:

-remove your unit from your dash
-remove the above side of the unit: the plate where your part# is printed(some simple screws)
-check the connector. You can see it directly. When you look from above: a small white connector at the right lower site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I opened up the top and had a look inside, the connectors were in properly i moved them around a little but still nothing, the buttons still dont work. any more ideas?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In this case it could be the main board, especially since diagnostics doesn't work either. You can try to force a software update but that would require that you can at least insert a CD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.