Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I have an A4 with an RNS-E and it is fantastic :D . I have a Touareg with a Blaupunkt and it is sh..! :evil:
Was wondering if electrically I can plug an RNS-E into a Touareg? :?: Would the CanBus and controller recognise it? :? I know its a lot to hope for but they are the 'same' company! :roll:
If anyone has ideas I'd appreciate them. I know I'd need to mess with the fascia, but that problem comes second.
There would be lots of VW Touareg owners who would love this solution if it worked! :D

Regards,
BH

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
blackheathen said:
Was wondering if electrically I can plug an RNS-E into a Touareg? :?: Would the CAN bus and controller recognise it? :?
Others have reported on here that they have installed an RNS-E into a Seat and other VAG cars. Some have been able to find a coding that works on the CAN bus of the vehicles, but others have had to use a CAN bus emulator.

Unless someone has done it already (please post with any information), then you would have to try it and hope.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It will work at least 90% properly. I installed an RNS-E into my VW R32 and it was leaving the factory Monsoon Amp turned on all of the time... so it kept draining my battery. I had to install something else instead

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
purplezr2 said:
I bet it would be plug and play
"Plug and play" means the same signals on the same pins of the same connectors .... and that's VERY unlikely.

At the very least some form of adapter will be necessary - just like when fitting an RNS-E into an Audi with a Symphony II.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PetrolDave said:
purplezr2 said:
I bet it would be plug and play
"Plug and play" means the same signals on the same pins of the same connectors .... and that's VERY unlikely.

At the very least some form of adapter will be necessary - just like when fitting an RNS-E into an Audi with a Symphony II.
Touareg was the last unit I had, it has a quadlock plug stock, and as far as I can tell the pins are the same I didn't research this alot thought.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I did it few months ago. It is working fine but you will need to shave 2 aluminium pieces for sliding tracks.
They are located on teh side of the nav. It is not as plug and play as A4 platform but it is not a major modification either.

·
Registered
517 Posts
PROXUS said:
I did it few months ago. It is working fine but you will need to shave 2 aluminium pieces for sliding tracks.
They are located on teh side of the nav. It is not as plug and play as A4 platform but it is not a major modification either.
When you say, working fine, does that mean full functionality (on/off with ignition, dim with lights, full MFSW functionality, etc)?
Or did it lose some functionality?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Please explain becuase I want to install an RNS-E in my W8 Passat and have the same questions.

Thanks,

Steve

PROXUS said:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Proxus,
your answer is very appealing. A few questions:
1. Assuming there may be some pin movements for compatability, were there any issues with the electronics working correctly (note others have commented on amps not switching off)
2. Did it work with the DIS
3. How did you mod the face to fit the space and how does it compare with the curve of the Touareg
4. What about the colour differences to the remainder of the dash

Any chance of some photos/ instructions (brief) on what you did?

I am soooo excited that I could put an Audi in my Treg - heaven!!!!

BH

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
blackheathen said:
Proxus,
your answer is very appealing. A few questions:
1. Assuming there may be some pin movements for compatability, were there any issues with the electronics working correctly (note others have commented on amps not switching off)
2. Did it work with the DIS
3. How did you mod the face to fit the space and how does it compare with the curve of the Touareg
4. What about the colour differences to the remainder of the dash

Any chance of some photos/ instructions (brief) on what you did?

I am soooo excited that I could put an Audi in my Treg - heaven!!!!

BH
1. Unit was coded for A4 and this was no-Bose setup. I don't remeber exactly but I swapped few wires to get it to work
2. I did not coded DIS so I can't say for sure
3. I removed silver trim and shaved few edges. It is not a perfect fit because Touareg faceplate is kind of like a sphere and Audi is flat, but it is not a big problem to make it fit
VW Passat fittment was a little bit better (I didn't see any gaps on teh side)
4. Color is close

Unfortunately I didn't took any pictures, because I just wired everything for the client and he picked up from there.
He was planing to do some tweaks and repaint the screen frame so I don't have a clue how this project ended up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Steve Z1 said:
Please explain becuase I want to install an RNS-E in my W8 Passat and have the same questions.
Passat != Touareg
I had the RNS-E in my Golf and it worked pretty well, but it would leave the factory amp turned on and drain the battery. It's not worth it -- either get the OEM VW Navi or a double-din aftermarket system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.