Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i installed the rns-e in my B6 A4 today, easy install but i have a few problems. First off, there is no sound. The speaker on the bottom center has a strike throught it. Seems like it is on mute. i went through the manual but didnt find anything. WTF? Also, why wont my damn iPod/icelink work. I updated the firmware to 2.15 but still cant figure it out for the life of me. Nothing like the Symphony II at all. I dont care about using the icelink part of it, i just want full control of the iPod. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
For the mute, check if connector IV pin 1 from the car goes to connector D pin 11 on the RNS-E. It looks like it may be that D11 is connected to ground which would mute the RNS-E permanently.

For the IceLink, check if connector I pin 10 is connected to ground. That pin doesn't connect to the RNS-E and should be grounded somehow.

See NSX Jr's chart for more details: http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. i will check that out sometime this weekend. Thanks for the quick reply. As for the icelink, i think i did the firmware update wrong after reading the instructions on the dension website. I went off a set of instructions on audiworld and apparently there are two different processes of updating the icelink depending on what version firmware is currently on the icelink. If everything is hooked up correctly for the icelink, it is controlled the same as when hooked up to the symphony II HU right? Also the icelink/iPod currently comes on, just dosent work so that would eliminate the connector 1, pin 10 to ground, right? More likely the firmware not being updated, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok. i checked the connectorIV pin 1 to connectorD pin 11 and it is just that. Thing is though, i am not using the connectorIV for anything, it just hangs there. What is this connector used for? Is this creating a problem?

Icelink. I updated the firmware to 2.15 and did it correctly this time. The icelink controls come up on the ipod but i still cant get out of the icelink menu and have normal controls of the ipod. On the symhony II HU you select dics6 scroll to "access ipod" with the track buttons and then once there hold down the FF button. Then it will tell you to disconnect and reconnect the ipod. Well with the rns-e i get as far as the "access ipod" part. When i hold down the FF button, nothing happens. Does anyone know how to do this? I know others have the icelink working with the rns-e so its definitely possible. Thanks

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I would expect the "Mute" symbol to appear on the screen if your system was muted. Possibly a reset of the unit might cure it. Hold the Radio and setup keys for 10 or so seconds until the screen blanks and the unit reboots.

Craig

xonetruthcrewx said:
ok. i checked the connectorIV pin 1 to connectorD pin 11 and it is just that. Thing is though, i am not using the connectorIV for anything, it just hangs there. What is this connector used for? Is this creating a problem?

Icelink. I updated the firmware to 2.15 and did it correctly this time. The icelink controls come up on the ipod but i still cant get out of the icelink menu and have normal controls of the ipod. On the symhony II HU you select dics6 scroll to "access ipod" with the track buttons and then once there hold down the FF button. Then it will tell you to disconnect and reconnect the ipod. Well with the rns-e i get as far as the "access ipod" part. When i hold down the FF button, nothing happens. Does anyone know how to do this? I know others have the icelink working with the rns-e so its definitely possible. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i guess i should have said what i have tried so far. The reset you mentioned plus another type of reset i read in the manual, plus i have left the entire unit unplugged out of the car for a good 3 hours. Nothing has worked, still in the same spot. Also, the sound settings i.e. trebel, bass, will not adjust. I can go into the adjustment, make the adjustment, set it, but then as soon as i leave that menu it sets itself back to 0. I dont know if this is due to the system being muted or what. Uhhhh, this is getting frustrating. Almost 1600 bucks for a unit that is giving me hell. Good thing my car is not a daily driver or i would be super pissed.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I understood that "The speaker on the bottom center has a strike throught it" is the Mute symbol right next to the clock. And conntector IV is only used if you have a phone kit of any kind installed.

If Craigs idea with the reset doesn't work, try to connect only connector I to get power to the unit. Turn it on and see if the Mute symbol is still there. If it is then something is wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, tested out your power only connector theory and yep its still muted. So i have now given up on the rns-e. The seller will be contacted and the unit will be returned. In my eyes this unit is DOA. Whether it be a wiring harness issue or a more serious rns-e problem i am done with it. I have gone over possible wiring problems, reset the unit 3 different ways, tried select connectors only, and nothing. I may even go back to running the Symphony II HU and spend my money elsewhere. We'll see. This has not been a enjoyable experience. Hopefully the seller (which i will keep unnamed for the time being) will take care of this and make me a happy customer. I understand shit happens and thats out of his control, but we'll see where it goes from here. Thanks for the navplus help thus far guys.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
xonetruthcrewx said:
help. anyone. Alex (PROXUS)?
I had the same thing with mute icon before few times, but I don't remember what I did to switch it off.

If you can, check with VAG your coding and let me know if you have TEL enabled. It is 3rd digit from the end. (1 for disabled / 6 for enabled)

Either way you have warranty so I can send you another unit. No Problem.
I will call you with details.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
ejc2008 said:
errr the telephone wires for tele mute are supposed to hang loose ...
it's ok for these to hang loose if they are not doing anything. It would only be a problem if these were shorting against the chassis or a live wire.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Problem solved. I spoke with xonetruthcrewx on the phone and he sent me picture of the adapter. It was a problem with ground wire. I knew it is not unit itself because all of them are tested very carefuly. 2 of wires were removed and everything is working now ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. All is good. I talked with Alex (PROXUS) about it and the problem was the wiring harness. i cut the tel module mute wire (D-11) and the battery power out wire (D-16). This cured the mute situation and fixed my drained battery problem. My icelink is also working the exact same as it did when hooked up to the symphony II HU. I am now very stoked on the Nav+. Thumbs the fuck up for PROXUS. Great service and i highly recommend him to anyone looking to buy a nav unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, you beat me to it Alex by 3 minutes. Had to take a break in my reply to feed the baby or i would have beat you. Thanks again for the rns-e and the support throughout the process. Your the man. Right On.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.