Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed my RNS-E I got from rival. Couldn't have been easier. I'm glad I opted for the under dash antenna, ripping the headliner down would have been a tedious project. Everything seems to work except my sound quality is bad and by driver front speakers don't work. Has anyone has this problem? Any suggestions? I have toyed with all the digital adjustments to no avail. My only guess is that I might have a bum harness.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant say that I did. The eyeball test seemed ok. Plug and play was the goal. U think there might be a few connections missing?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
maskinut said:
Everything seems to work except my sound quality is bad and by driver front speakers don't work.
Does your car have Bose?

Does the front passenger speaker work?

What do you mean by "sound quality is bad"? - please can you explain more about this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no sound from drivers left

Has bose speakers.

Front passengers speakers work.

thanks for the help.

sound quality just seems tinny. Might be because I'm missing the front left but it doesnt seem as full as before.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
maskinut said:
Cant say that I did. The eyeball test seemed ok. Plug and play was the goal. U think there might be a few connections missing?
Ummm, yes. Missing or wrong. Pretty dangerous to just plug something in without making sure the wires are correct. Easy way to fry up your unit. This problem has been visited over and over again on this forum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats one angle.....

The other side of that coin is pretty simple also... I bought a plug and play unit that shipped with a harness purpose built for my car and for my unit. It is not like I jammed togerher a harness from a junkyard on a hunch that it might match up reasonably well. Looks like I'll need to take the time to learn the wiring schematics for my car. Something I was hoping to avoid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
problem solved thanks to TeddyB

Ted B took a look at my harness and fixed it right up. There was a miswire causing the speaker to go out.

Thanks Ted!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
This illustrates the problem that has been mentioned MANY times on this forum - MOST (not all) manufacturers of so-called plug-n-play adapters to retrofit the RNS-E do NOT take the care to make them accurate.

The exceptions to this are people like NSX_Jr and TeddyBGame who take care to manufacture their adapters correctly, but any harness you buy from a company should be suspected of having at least one mistake and be checked BEFORE you plug it into your car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
inaccurate plug and play harness

I totally agree. About 35% of the installs I do with "Plug and Play" harnesses end up needing to be either rewired or pins recrimped. This can cause the home installation to go very wrong. For most persons familiar with these installs they can be a minor issue, but I have had customers driving arround for 6 months without front speakers because they were sold a P&P adapter that was wired wrong. It took 5 min for me to rewire it, only because I had seen the problem so many times.
Other issues included Rt speakers wired to the lft side, and the telephone connector wires just falling off the adapter harness out of the box, and bose pin not installed on bose harness. These were all from reputable vendors, so double check the wiring before an install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.