Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, finally after months of waiting i got my RNS and before n e one flames the shit out of me ill put my newbie flame suit on *zip* and state that i did indeed used the 'search' function...

specifically im doing a double din conversion from my existing concert II
(B6) to an RNS

here are some installation tips that i have gathered:

1) unplug ur battery
2) dont leave key in ignition...

anything else u gurus out there can add ??

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If cutting your console and climate control, measure twice and cut once. :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh that is what i plan to do, thanks!!! hope it goes well! that and removing my center console is what i am most worried about

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know its possible to cut the existing centre console and all that jazz, but a brand new centre console for a double DIN costs about £65. May be better to just swap consoles totally and be done with having to cut that bit at least!!! Thats what I did and everything went very sweetly. :D Obviously you need a Double-DIN radio cage too.

When I chopped down my climate control I actually made up a card template of the rough size and used an electric sander to sand down the edges. When I got close I kept offering up the climate to the hole until it slid in. I also removed the face plate from the climate unit to stop all the sanded bits from falling inside the unit and clogging it up. It comes apart quite easily.

My top tip - cover the sides of your console where the climate unit slides in with masking tape while offering up - I scored a chunk out of my JUST FITTED and BRAND NEW centre console while offering up my sanded climate control unit - it wasn't really noticeable but really annoying. So much so I've sold the car and bought a new one which already has a Symphony and Colour DIS in it!!

I found that the RNS-E tended to drop a bit when the install was complete as the proper double-DIN climate unit has sort of a support on the top to prop up the RNS-E or Symphony. My solution? The bit of card i used as a template gaffa taped to the top of the climate unit to hold it up!

Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did my install the other way - bought the double din cage and double din climate control, but 'modified' the console.

No issues here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts