Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an RNS-e on my 2001 S8 and I can only read the radio/cd/mp3 information from the DIS screen. Is there a way to make it show the navigation directions as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
No one yet has a solution for this problem

Maybe you could ask Bjarne if his cangate project could help. Problem is Bjarne doesn't have an A8/S8 to play with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which rns-e are you using? What is the closest model to use for install directions into a8/s8?

diogenis1969 said:
I installed an RNS-e on my 2001 S8 and I can only read the radio/cd/mp3 information from the DIS screen. Is there a way to make it show the navigation directions as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The S8/A8 D2 has a GALA speed signal, so I used the a6 settings. The RNS-e used is this one 4B0 035 192 P. It works great except the DIS.

bigdaddyrobb said:
Which rns-e are you using? What is the closest model to use for install directions into a8/s8?

diogenis1969 said:
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aren't '01 different then '02 I believe '02 is using the Sym II which should be different then Sym I

I might be wrong, but I would like to know more about your isntall.
Can you post some pics?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CrazyINP said:
Aren't '01 different then '02 I believe '02 is using the Sym II which should be different then Sym I

I might be wrong, but I would like to know more about your isntall.
Can you post some pics?

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply, 02 has a different radio, but its up to you to check the pllug, and pull CAN L and CAN H wires from the cluster. Now about fitting the RNS-e to the same dashboard opening, I had to dremel the RNS-e on the two sides. Much better fit than my install on my B5 S4. Nobody can tell that this is not a factory option by looking at it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
D,
I think we exchanged emails a few months ago.

I find it very odd that you can get radio/CD/MP3 info in the cluster but not nav. I assume you vag'd your cluster (adaptation channel 62 = 5)?

You can also go in the RNSE (NAV > Setup button > check the "Compass" box). That will put compass and street info into the cluster (while you are not navigating to a destination).

Keep us posted!!
-Ted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you modify the face plate or did you buy it modified? I also have a 01 S8 and have been trying to decide what to put in . I have been seriously considering the alpine iva-w205.
I would love to see a pic or two. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TeddyBGame said:
D,

I find it very odd that you can get radio/CD/MP3 info in the cluster but not nav. I assume you vag'd your cluster (adaptation channel 62 = 5)?

You can also go in the RNSE (NAV > Setup button > check the "Compass" box). That will put compass and street info into the cluster (while you are not navigating to a destination).

Keep us posted!!
-Ted
I tried the compass setup too, no nav info on the DIS. My theory is that the cluster and the circuit design with those nav buttons at the center console is the issue. I beleive that somehow those buttons at the center console can not work with RNS-e. Those buttons are wired to work with the old nav in the trunk and the cluster. Those buttons are responsible to "turn on" the nav DIS. But I don't know how to "jump" the wires there. Again that is my theory, because that is the only difference I see btn the S8 and S4 install.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The old NAV and center console buttons are for the BNS and should be totally disconnected if you install an RNS-E.

The way I look at it is this, everyone codes the units for A6 when they go into an A8/S8 so they can pick up speed pulse, well that is ok as the A6 only ever came with the RED DIS and so it can talk to the A6 cluster OK, but the A8/S8 only ever came with a colour DIS as far as I'm aware. so when coded as an A6 it will not work for mapping in the DIS.

I also tried setting the RNS-E to A4 (as that can have a colour cluster), but got the same results.

So maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
996 Posts
diogenis1969 said:
TeddyBGame said:
D,

Keep us posted!!
-Ted
I tried the compass setup too, no nav info on the DIS. My theory is that the cluster and the circuit design with those nav buttons at the center console is the issue. I beleive that somehow those buttons at the center console can not work with RNS-e. Those buttons are wired to work with the old nav in the trunk and the cluster. Those buttons are responsible to "turn on" the nav DIS. But I don't know how to "jump" the wires there. Again that is my theory, because that is the only difference I see btn the S8 and S4 install.
D,
In the C5, the factory BNS was offered starting in the 2000 model year. In the A6 cars that I've seen, the BNS communicates with the cluster via the canbus. I know the nav drive in the trunk has the canbus wiring...i'm just not sure if the "jog dial" in the center console works on the canbus...or some kind of control/data wire. Not sure. Some of this might apply to your D2....again, not sure.

I still think it is odd that you can get radio/cd/mp3 info in the cluster...but no navigation info. Stupid/obvious question: Did you disconnect the nav drive in the trunk? If not, your cluster could be trying to read nav info from two sources....

Keep us posted!
-Ted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Teddy,
the old BNS was communicating with the cluster via the CAN BUS. I disconnected all the BNS plugs in the trunk. I also disconeected the CAN wires leaving the cluster. In its place I put the new wires going to the RNS-e. The D2 does not have only a "jog dial" in the center console and the two buttons like the B5 and C5 have. It has a MENU button too with which you can setup the cluster to show time, to set the time and date , and most critical to show the radio information. I suppose that when you click the NAV button at the center console it somehow turns on the DIS to receive the information from the BNS. My vag coding is correct. I checked that many times, I even tried to use other numbers to see if this cluster needed a different number. I know it sounds odd, but Graig from tyresmoke from UK had the same issue on a european 01 D2 S8. His solution was to vag out the NAV coding from the cluster so he doesn't get the blank screen. I agree with you that it sounds odd, and just because of that I beleive that there is an easy solution. But my knowledge about electronics stops to just reading simple wiring diagrams. I tried to read the center console nav/cluster wiring diagram buttons but I got confused.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
craigyb said:
The old NAV and center console buttons are for the BNS and should be totally disconnected if you install an RNS-E.

The way I look at it is this, everyone codes the units for A6 when they go into an A8/S8 so they can pick up speed pulse, well that is ok as the A6 only ever came with the RED DIS and so it can talk to the A6 cluster OK, but the A8/S8 only ever came with a colour DIS as far as I'm aware. so when coded as an A6 it will not work for mapping in the DIS.

I also tried setting the RNS-E to A4 (as that can have a colour cluster), but got the same results.

So maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of anything else.
Hey Craig,
I just read your new post. I started from the bottom up. I disconnected the can wires going to the BNS from the cluster. I also disconected all the plugs in the trunk. I did not disconnect the jog dial and tha nav buttons, because I did not want to disconnect the big MENU button that sets the time and date in the cluster. When you disconnected those did you have any luck? As far as using an A4 unit or an A6 unit from what I heard they are the same units internally with different vag coding. Also the same BNS unit that was installed fromt he factory on my D2 is found on the B5 and C5 Audi. If the BNS can show the map info on the DIS then I am sure the RNS-e can too. Did you try to undertant the wires going from the BNS to the cluster thru the JOG DIAL and the other center console buttons?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well my car had RNS-D, not BNS in the DIS, so I have a different setup to you.

But I have always totally disconnected the BNS when I have done upgrades, of course I have just realised that this is also the menu button in the S8, so it has to stay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
craigyb said:
Well my car had RNS-D, not BNS in the DIS, so I have a different setup to you.

But I have always totally disconnected the BNS when I have done upgrades, of course I have just realised that this is also the menu button in the S8, so it has to stay.
So your car did not have the JOG DIAL and the other buttons in the center console with the RNS-D. With the RNS-D you were able to see the map in the DIS. So my theory is wrong unless the UK cluster is different than the US cluster :( :( :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
diogenis1969 said:
With the RNS-D you were able to see the map in the DIS.
I had an RNS-D in my 2004 S4 ... and you DON'T get the map in the DIS, only arrows giving you instructions for the next turn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PetrolDave said:
diogenis1969 said:
I had an RNS-D in my 2004 S4 ... and you DON'T get the map in the DIS, only arrows giving you instructions for the next turn.
Yes, that is what we mean PetrolDave. With the BNS the RNS D and RNS-e we are supposed to only get the arrows on the DIS.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
diogenis1969 said:
With the BNS the RNS D and RNS-e we are supposed to only get the arrows on the DIS.
So why did you write this (which you now say is untrue) ?????????????????????????????????????

diogenis1969 said:
I don't understand why you posted something you know to be untrue ... CONFUSED...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the D2 audi the BNS shows the NAV info ( ARROWS) on the DIS. The RNS-e does not show the nav info ( ARROWS) on the DIS. Clear now?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
diogenis1969 said:
Clear now?
No. Arrows and map are not the same thing...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.