Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed RNS-E in my B6 S4 Avant. Nav system works fine, but now i can't get my new XM receiver to "activate". I replaced my original XM receiver (8E0 035 593 A) which worked fine with ymphony II, to the new generation 8E0 035 593 E. I am able to hear the "preview" channels but after 6 calls to XM Radio to send "Activation" signals, nothing has taken. And yes, i did the basic things, swapped the receiver on my XM account, ensured i had open view of sky, left it on and didn't change channels during the activation, etc.

Finally they told me that it must be a hardware problem w/receiver and that i'd need to replace the sharkfin antenna with a new version. I don't believe that, and think it's a faulty receiver unit...strange though because it receives the "preview" channels just fine.

Has anyone had this problem or know any other potential sources of problems? Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have herd from cases where a previously activated receiver couldn't get re-activated because it got never properly de-activated. If you "E" receiver was new, that shouldn't be the issue though. The fact that you can hear the preview channel and switch between channel 0 and 1 would indicate that everything is properly coded.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If your cluster says something like "INITIAL. SDARS" for about 5 minutes of silence, then switches over to the preview channel after apparently giving up on activation, then your tuner is probably dead. I have personally seen three tuners like this and have heard of 5-6 more. To date the only solution was to toss it in the bin and get a new one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NSX JR said:
If your cluster says something like "INITIAL. SDARS" for about 5 minutes of silence, then switches over to the preview channel after apparently giving up on activation, then your tuner is probably dead. I have personally seen three tuners like this and have heard of 5-6 more. To date the only solution was to toss it in the bin and get a new one.
It does precisely as NSXJr describes. I will try with the VAG COM tonight to see if the RNS needs to be coded for Sat radio. But ya, it displays "Initial SDARS" for 5 minutes, then goes to Preview mode, where it remains even through a barrage of XM Activation attempts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RenoAudiNV said:
NSX JR said:
It does precisely as NSXJr describes. I will try with the VAG COM tonight to see if the RNS needs to be coded for Sat radio. But ya, it displays "Initial SDARS" for 5 minutes, then goes to Preview mode, where it remains even through a barrage of XM Activation attempts.
OK I VAG'd the RNS this evening. It gave me some fault codes (see below) and it wouldn't let me change the Navigation application (#37) from 0301213 to 0301233. Any ideas guys? I am dreading facing the potential reality that the receiver is jacked...will have to tear my upholstry apart again to get it out. Thanks in advance.

Faults:
------------------------------------
Address 0F: Digital Radio
Part No SW: 8E0 035 593 E HW:
Component: SDAR XM 0080

1 Fault Found:
02788 - Internal Communications Error
000 - -

Address 37: Navigation
Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 C HW: 8E0 035 192 C
Component: RNS-E US3 H47 X---
Coding: 0301213
Shop #: WSC 22120

7 Faults Found:
00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

00856 - Radio Antenna

00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier

00852 - Loudspeaker(s); Front
011 - Open Circuit

00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)
004 - No Signal/Communication

01305 - Databus for Infotainment

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -

----------------------
Address 56: Radio
Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 C HW: 8E0 035 192 C
Component: RNS-E US3 H47 X---
Coding: 0301213
Shop #: WSC 22120

7 Faults Found:
00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)

00856 - Radio Antenna

00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier

00852 - Loudspeaker(s); Front
011 - Open Circuit

00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)

01305 - Databus for Infotainment

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -

End

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
xxxx2xx is not a valid coding when using the US software, use 0301633 instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
xxxx2xx is not a valid coding when using the US software, use 0301633 instead.
I was able to successfully change the Nav setting to 0301633, but didn't seem to have any effect. Regarding the "01305 - Databus for Infotainment " error, is that a symptom of a bad plug n play adapter? Or of my RNS E?

I guess the better question is directed at NSX Jr - Did you see these codes when you dealt previously with busted XM units?

Thanks for continued help guys

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would first delete all faults and see which comes back, most of them may still be there from the initial install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
I would first delete all faults and see which comes back, most of them may still be there from the initial install.
Faults deleted, the "Internal Communications Error" fault returns each time, i'm afraid I hear the bugle call...it's TAPS for my XM Receiver. Ebay purveyors, caveat emptorum.

Thanks to NSX and AudiA4B6US as always for your expert assistance.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts