Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello; a while ago i installed an rns-e unit in a 2001 a6 with bose, cd changer, and xm radio. That car has now been replaced, and last night i installed the system in a newer a6, which had bose and the cd based nav system. Everything seems to work properly, except no sound comes out of the left channel (neither music nor the nav voice); and a slight hum can be heard from the left rear. All of the wires in the harness seem to be going where they should; i am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that the car had a cd based nav system to begin with; if anyone has any insight into what might be causing this or how to remidy it, your input would be greatly appriciated. Thank you,
-John

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What MY is the new A6? There were a couple of wiring changes between the pre and post facelift models and it may be necessary to check the adapter based on NSX Jr's chart http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi- its a 2003 MY 2.7t. Before i did the install i reconfigured the harness according to NSXJR's chart there. Everything looks like it should be working as far as the wiring harness is concerned, which made me wonder if it has somthing to do with the cd nav box in the trunk which was removed, or the bose amp. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The BNS navi was connected to the head unit via connector IV (10 pin), same as the OEM phone would be. This should not have any impact on the sound from the RNS-E. For a Bose system, all four channels are using the line out in connector I (20 pin). I would triple check connector I to make sure that the line out wires are inserted properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok- after much checking of the wiring harness vs the chart, everything seems to be in the correct positions. I also checked each wire from pin to pin with a continuity checker to make sure of no wire breaks and/or bad terminations. In addition to this, i also notice that when the nav unit is powered on, there is a somewhat substantial hum coming from the rear left speaker and slightly from the subwoofer, whereas the right front and rear play audio. There is also a thump that comes briefly through the speakers when shifting the car past reverse. When i plug in the symphony II again, everything works just fine. Plug in an RNS, and the left side dies. I noticed on the cd nav unit in the trunk, there are many cables coming out of it in the harness, and only three of those end up going to the headunit in the dash. Im assuming some of the remaining are for power and can, but are there any more harnesses/wires that perhaps need to be disconnected elsewhere? If anyone has any more insight into what else may be the problem, your help is greatly appriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your CD nav drive in the trunk has nothing to do with your problem. If your Sym radio works fine then the problem is either your wiring harness (which you have double checked) or your RNS-E unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts