Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

A6 C5 TDi Sport 2003

I need a little help to complete my RNS-E install. I have read and carried out instructions from the numerous posts on the site but cannot resolve the problem that I have!

I have retrofitted an RNS-E unit from a single DIN concert II stereo. The harness was supplied by KUFATEC and seems to be fine. I've downloaded and registered VAG-COM (Version 409-1) and purchased a cable to code in my unit. After several attempts I cannot get the front speakers to work. I have the BOSE amp fitted and have recoded accordingly 0509113 (A6 C5 with BOSE and Phatbox) but the front speakers still don't work. I have removed the BOSE ground wire from pin 7 on connector B and reconnected the unit but still no front speakers! I read a post that specified a BOSE system would have the name “BOSE†on the speaker grills but mine do not, however, it is an Audi part and fitted as part of the spec for my car. I have also tried to reset the unit to factory default by saving 000 in Adaptation-10 but this has failed to resolve the problem.
Another problem I have is that the unit will not power up when the ignition is switched on and the panel lights fail to illuminate when I switch on the cars lights. When I remove the ignition key, the unit remains switched on and only switches off when I open the driver’s door. The same applies to the panel lights. In a previous post regarding this I was advised to VAG-COM the unit first and take it from there. The only other solution I can think of is that the CAN wires are incorrect but I can’t remove them to switch them over. I’ve tried paper clips, small screw drivers and pins, is there a special technique???
At the moment I am running the 2004 nav disk that came with the unit but don’t want to upgrade to the 2007 disks until I have it working properly.

My unit produced the following fault codes with VAG-COM:
Sunday, 21 January 2007, 20:11:48 VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S Control Module Part Number: 4B0 035 192 P Component and/or Version: RNS-E BASIC EU H56 X---
Software Coding: 0509113
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
10 Faults Found:
00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
02024 - Perform Adaptation 000 - -
00856 - Radio Antenna
00858 - Connection: Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground
00625 - Vehicle Speed Signal
004 - No Signal/Communication
00852 - Loudspeaker(s): Front
011 - Open Circuit
00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
01305 - Databus for Infotainment
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
02005 - Coding PIN

Any help would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I took the freedom to separate you post form the topic since it's a new question that doesn't really belong to the orignal topic.

Did you clear all faults after installing the RNS-E? Most of the faults get usually logged during the intial install. Th eothe rthing I noticed is the sw version shown in the VAG-COM log. There is no reason why a European unit should show the X--- and this might indicate a previous software update that went wrong or did not complete properly and would now cause strange issues.

I would first try to get rid of the X--- software version, even by inserting the 2007 DVD and letting it update. You can also use the channel 97 trick to downgrade the software if you map DVD would not get recognized properly. After you got the software updated, clear all logged faults and see which come back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, many thanx for re-assigning my post. I haven't quite got the hang of the site yet!
I have cleared all faults as suggested and sucessfully downgraded my software to 0080 which is the original disk that came with the unit. I have also reconnected the BOSE link to pin 7 on Connector B.
My fault codes are now as follows:

Monday, 22 January 2007, 17:26:42
VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S
Control Module Part Number: 4B0 035 192 P
Component and/or Version: RNS-E BASIC EU H56 0080
Software Coding: 0509113
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
4 Faults Found:
02024 - Perform Adaptation 000 - -

007 - Short to Ground
00852 - Loudspeaker(s): Front
011 - Open Circuit
02005 - Coding PIN
I tried performing the adaptation 000 to reset to factory default but still have the same issues, panel switch lights, ignition to switch on unit and front speakers not working although the fault codes show an obvious open circuit somewhere. Apart from that, everything seems to work fine although radio reception is hit and miss.

Am I missing something here???
Could it simply be the CAN signals?

Many thanx for all your help

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Error 2005 is related to the Bose pin. If the RNS-E is coded for Bose, the Bose pin should be connected (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/02005).

Error 2024 is related to adaptetion channel 1 and 2, tire size and impulse (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/02024).

Error 852 could have been logged when you disconnected the Bose pin, at which time the RNS-E would have expected speakers connected to the front speaker out and since they don't exist the error got logged.

And last but not least, 858 could be a broken antenna amplifier. It would be nice to know if the same error gets logged when you put the old radio back in. Or if you get an open antenna connection for ZF if you leave the ZF plug disconnected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Update so far! I've swapped the CAN connectors on the harness as suggested in a previous post by Petroldave. This causes the unit to only operate when manually switched on and the panel lights do not work at all. I think this rules out a wrong connection on the CAN wires. I have recalibrated the wheel and tyre sizes to 1964(235/45/17). I have removed all of the fault codes except the Perform Adaptation 000. No matter how much I try it always reappears after fault codes have been cleared.
I also still have no front speakers. I have checked the factory options list against the link to this website http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx and the BOSE system is not included in my list of factory options. Could this be the problem with the front speakers not working? I also need to resolve the ignition and panel light issue.
I am running out of options and ideas
Can anyone please offer any further help? [-o<

·
Registered
819 Posts
If Bose is not in the options list then I'm surprised it's installed. But it could be a retrofit. Have you tried to disconnect the Bose pin and recode without Bose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reconnected the CAN wires to their original location. I removed the BOSE pin and recoded the Nav unit without BOSE - still no front speakers! I even unplugged the connector on the BOSE unit but this took out all of my speakers. I have replaced the BOSE pin and recoded back to normal. When I replaced the Nav unit I temporarily lost the rear speaker output. This leads me to beleive that there may be a fault with the wiring harness which I know has been a major gripe to a lot of people. I will investigate the harness and post back if I need any further assistance.

My only problem now (apart from ignition and panel lights which I can live with) is how to remove the 'Perform Adaptation 000' fault. Is there something I should be recoding with VAGCOM or is it ok to ignore?

Many thanks for your help so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.