Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone located close to Indianapolis, IN interested in earning a few $$ and wants to help me?

I have a 2006 S4. Please let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is a cake install.
You just pull your original unit out.. unplug it from the rear.
Put your RNS back and plug all the cables back. Test it before push it back. Then just VAG it.

If you can install a printer in a PC, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you have done this before...

My questions are as follows.

I have the Bose Symphone II with Sirius Satellite radio. I also have the sharkfin antenna on the roof of my 2006 S4. I know this antenna provides my Sirius signal, does it also do the Nav signal and is the wiring already done?

I've read that I need to have a separate antenna and a fakra connector. Is that true with my year / model combination? Maybe mine already has all of this??

Regarding your VAG comments. What does this do for me? Is this what provides the map display on my dash? I went to VAG and the software / hardware appear to be $500. Is this what I need or is there someone out there that can help me?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today I received the 'keys' to remove my Symphony II from the dash. I ordered these from NavParts. Although I have read many of the postings on this site, I can not find anything regarding the '06 and wanted to see what I have back there before I start ordering a bunch of items / connectors.

I had hoped my sharkfin was wired for the Nav already. Instead, all I see are the two sets of wires going into the back right-hand side of the Symphony II plus the diversity and AM/FM on the left.

It appears I will need to order a FAKRA connector right away. I will take the housing off my diversity antenna and connect it to the FAKRA. The FAKRA will then connect my AM/FM antenna and diversity antenna to the back of the RNS-E. I will then run the separate Nav antenna into my glove box or over towards the fuse area. I saw a few articles where a guy had his dash off and the inside of his car in pieces. I am not going to do that!!

My RNS-E came with a wiring harness that has one connection for the back of the RNS-E and four other connectors. I have the Symphony II / BOSE / Sirius. Will this work? What about the Sirius? Do I need anything else?

Since I do not own the VAGCOM equipment / software, what happens once I connect all of this stuff. How will it work pre / post VAGCOM? Does anyone own this equipment that can help?

I appreciate any pointers anyone out there has.

·
Registered
996 Posts
couple of things:

1) read through all the installation posts via quicklinks for the B6/B7. A lot of people have spent a lot of time organizing this for folks...so take advantage of it.

You have an easy installation ahead of you...considering you have a GPS antenna built into your roof already (no need to pull out he instrument cluster). See these related links:
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/255474.phtml
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527

2) Buy the male/male fakra extension cable ($30)

3) Depending on where you sourced your plug/play harness, I guarantee that your wiring harness will need to be verified/checked/tweaked for your particular car. Not all are created equal...and 95% of them require 4-5 wiring changes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would suggest you read more in the forum before you ask the questions. The only difficulty i faced when i installed my RNS-E is to remove the symphony II by keys and the rest of the steps take you less than 15mins. You don't really have to connect the GPS antenna to shark fin because it still receive signals if you place it somewhere under dashboard/behind glovebox( and it takes way longer and harder to connect a long line to the roof sharkfin).

About the Sirus i think you have to order another satellite adapter for RNS-E or else it won't work.( i don't have satellite installed but thats what i read on the forum)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts