Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off great site guys! I wouldnt have taken the plunge without it.

After doing all my research, reading the detailed posts about installs in C5 A6's, I checked my PnP harness and all the wires seem correct. The consenus, however, seems to be for modifiying the harness to "correct" a few things like CAN bus and alarm and CDC grounds.

Being a saturday and not having any extra pins and finding my Audi dealer closed, I decided to keep reading forums. I found my way to mjtaylors install. Checking my car's "Connector I" I had the orange wires he says means I have CAN already at my head unit. So I decide to just skip ahead, plug the thing in and go for it.

And aside from the enter the PIN code a few times IT JUST WORKS. Turn on the headlights and the screen dims / buttons light up meaning CAN messages are working. (apparently this is the easiest test since this is a CAN message causing that.)

IT WAS PLUG AND PLAY IN A A4/B5.

So I use Rosstech VAG-COM to change the adaptation on instruments (17) code 62 to 5. I then drive to the gas station to clear the orange pump icon on my DIS :wink:. I program the nav system to get me home and the DIS shows up with the big arrows and street names, etc. Im getting pretty excited now! The top of the display is showing the radio station frequency.

I go in to recode my RNS-E and see its soft code is set to 0520000

I click the coding button and enter a new value but no matter what I enter, it wont change when i click "DO IT!". I have Bose, CD changer and a Sony Ericsson BT adapter that were working on my symphony I. Being an A4 I was thinking 0309113.

The phone adapter is currently working, I have no idea about the Bose (though I see no mention of Bose in the RNS-E menus), and the cd changer is NOT recognized. When I dial on my cellphone, the car mutes the radio, the other person's audio comes out the stereo speakers (with the symphony I it only came out the extra speaker on the drivers door and I didnt change any wires!) and the microphone by the sunroof is working.

Questions:

Anyone ever have trouble with a RNS-E not taking a recode?

Do I need to get the CDC ground (Connector IV, pin 10) connected before it will be recognized?

Is "no phone" the correct choice for my 3rd party BT phone adapter?

Do I need to get the DWA-GND (D:14 on the RNS-E) hooked up to the dangling brown single pin plug to makes sure it turns off when I arm my alarm? If I dont, will it just stay on and drain the battery?

Any help is appreciated!

pete.

Current fault codes and version info:

Saturday,14,October,2006,12:43:15
VAG-COM Version: Release 607.3-UD

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 035 192 P
Component and/or Version: RNS-E US3 H58 0110
Software Coding: 0520000
Work Shop Code: WSC 61379

02024 - Perform Adaptation
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 4
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2006.10.14
Time: 12:29:36

01042 - Control Module; Not Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 4
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2006.10.14
Time: 12:29:36

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
From an RNS-E point of view, your A4 B5 is an A6 C5 and therefore 05xxxxx is the correct coding. If you have Bose, try 0509111 as initial coding. Once that works change the 111 to match what's in your car. The CD changer needs the ground wire, otherwise it won't be detected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that worked!

I was able to set it to 0509111 and then to 0509113 for my CD changer. I grounded the CDC ground and it is now recognized.

I also tweaked a couple of that adaptation settings and the fault codes are gone.

I would have to say this upgrade was totally worth it. I love the 3D - map mode!

pete.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts