Audi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,

my friend just bought the new VW FOX and we was wondering if it is possible to install an RNS-E in this car.... i know we have to cut the console a bit but we are just wondering if the navigation and everything else would work.

We have just connected the rns-e to the car, sound came up but navigation didnt work. The woman always says we are not on a digitalizied road or something like that... the car got an Quadlock connector and it also got CANBUS so this should work doesnt it?

I saw that the clock in the RNS-E was working but when we switched off the lights of the car the red lights from RNS-e where still on... even after we removed the key from the car. What do you think would this work?

many thanks, chris

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
First, you have to have the GPS antenna connected for the nav to work. Was this done?

Second, the CAN network may have completely different commands in the VW... and there is no software coding you can do in VAG-COM to tell the RNS-E that it is now residing in a VW FOX. You should consider installing a VW navigation system instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
of course the gps antenna was connected it was receiving 7 sattelites but i think the problem was the so called GALA signal which should be included in the CAN BUS doesnt it?

I heard the VW FOX is not pre wired for gala is that possible or is gala always included in canbus?

thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If it's a new VW Fox then you are either in South America or Germany, are you? I doubt that any of the CAN signals in a Fox is compatible with the Audi CAN signals used by the RNS-E. But you could be the first to confirm this.

Start with the Quadlock and remove all wires except 12V+ and main ground. With this the RNS-E should power on but have no button light up. Connect a GPS antenna and wait a few minutes. Pressing the INFO button should show how many satellites the RNS-E receives. So far this can be done in any car and if the RNS-E passes this test it is at least technically OK.

Next connect the two CAN bus wires, make sure that CAN high and CAN low are not swapped. With the CAN bus connected, do the RNS-E button light up when you turn the lights on? If no then you can stop here because the CAN signals are different. In this case you would need a CAN emulator (check ebay Germany for sources) and wire everything up manually.

At this point I would connect the k-wire and try to connect to the RNS-E with a VAG-COM. If this is possible it should tell you all the errors and you can start working on those.

That being said, it may be much easier to just install a VW MFD which is made to support the VW CAN bus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dirk its me christian you dont remember me? :)

its an new VW FOX from germany. I already found out that the Audi and VW CAN BUS is absolutely different and this wont work without a lot of work to the wires of the car.... i will install an MFD2 in this car since this is like plug and play...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts