Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I sold an unit to one of our Audi friends in South Africa (SA). It's an originally 'EU' unit, but it should work in SA. He inserted the (original!) latest 2006/2007 SA DVD, and the firmware was updated (to 0500) but it keeps asking to 'insert the disc' after that. So the unit doesn't recognizes the SA DVD.

Because it's the original DVD, I think it's a setting. The unit is set for Southern hemisphere. Any tips to check/get this working? Using the RNS-E in SA is a very new experience for me.

tia!

albert

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you confirm that southern hemisphere is still set after the update? The Australia guys have reported several times that each update resets channel 10 to 0 and makes their DVD unusable.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
answer of the friend (without a account on this forum):

I have changed the coding for the unit to 0301115, and
yes I made sure channel 10 is on 1 for southern hemisphere. The unit
software version is on 0500
SOFIDX:0500
NAVVER:V220069C
AUDVER:A2210134

so the update was succesfull. It sees the disk butonly as firmware update
not as map disk. I will keep you informed with what i can find.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As AudiA4B6US said I found that the setting reverted back to Northern Hemsiphere after a software update, and the symptoms I experienced were identical (not recognising the genuine disk that did the update as a map disk).

If he has confirmed that the unit is still set as southern hemisphere, I'm not sure what the problem could be..

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some more info on the DVD:

I got the idea from the navplus forum and it worked. I took the files and opened alldata.kwi from the SA DVD and changed the following strings (they are all at the beginning of alldata.kwi):

> - "AFSA" to "AFEU"
> - "AGSA" to "AGEU"
> - "SA A-Format" to "EU A-Format"

I then put the files on a DVD and I changed the RNS-E to northern hemospher, and now it reads the maps so I agree there must be a
change that must be done.

I wonder if it is because the controller is still for HIGH EU, maybe it
must say HIGH SA but the firmware was loaded from the SA disk no problem.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Changing those characters was only necessary in the past when using a DVD from region that didn't match the region of the software on the RNS-E.

One thing confuses me: With the Euro 0330 and newer software you should not be able to modify the DVD because the DVD contains checksums that would cause the RNS-E to not read the DVD anymore. Since you modified the DVD and you are using a 0500 software, it may not be the newest version of the Euro software but some special SA software (just guessing here because based on the version in loading.kwi it looks like the Euro software).

Very strange...

·
Registered
12 Posts
For anybody in future who has this problem, i have solved it. Channel 10 must be set to 2. I have had this same problem and have been pulling my hair out trying to modify disks, etc. All you have to do is VAG it to 2!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Cool, another undocumented channel value. That makes it 0 for Europe and North America, 1 for Australia and probably parts of Asia and 2 for South Africa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts