Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested in installing a RNS-E unit in my 98.5 A4. I also want to add the instrument clusterwith the teip computer and Can-Bus, part# 920 I believe? What parts, other than one of these B5 "kits" I see advertised in the classifieds would I need to get the RNS-E synced with the cluster and get maximum functionality out of the trip computer?

What if I keep my current cluster, would I be able to use the RNS-E?

I currently have a Concert unit and realize a serious facelift is going to have to take place, but I would like to get all my parts and info in line so that it can be as "smooth" an install as possible.

Any help and advise, especially from a B5er would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris
Toronto, Canada

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
To install a new cluster means completely rewiring the harness plugs behind it as well as a good portion of the systems in your car to be compatible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe this is not such a good plan, would I still be able to do it without a trip computer in the dash/ Can-Bus system?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can purchase a CAN emulator to translate the basic functions from your vehicle to the RNS-E.

-ignition status
-switched illumination
-display illumination

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this would be a seamless solution?

What if I added the pre Can-Bus cluster 919, would the RNS-E and trip computer be in sync or would they operate exclusive from each other?

thanks fro the prompt info,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, can you suggest a good supplier of the parts I need, or are pretty much all the people in the classified reputable?

Thanks Again

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts