Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see conflicting info on whether a 4B0 035 192 P (A6 RNS-E) will fit perfectly in a B5 S4 or needs some mod to the faceplate. Proxus indicates on his For Sale page it's a perfect fit but the main part numbers thread indicates the need for a faceplate mod.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SMF

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
all pre 2002 A4s need to use A6 unit. Most of the time it is perfect fit (well almost...... sometimes you need to trim lower part of the faceplate but this is cosmetic and takes 5 minutes).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proxus,

I have both a C5 wagon and a B5 S4 (each 2001) and I haven't tried to swap the Symphony I's but I looked at them more carefully tonight and see that the unit in the C5 appears to be "wider" at the bottom (distance from the slot for the removal tool to the bottom of the faceplate). I guess I can pull the C5 one and try it in the S4 to get an idea of the fitment.

If it doesn't seem to fit correctly how do you trim the faceplate to make it a perfect fit and not mar the finish on the front (what tools do you use, how do get the trim even and correct)?

Thanks,
SMF

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
A6 is a perfect fit because nav unit was designed for those cars. A4 B5 faceplate leave minimal gap (not really visible) on the sides and require trim lower part about 1-2 milimeter (you can even use thick sand paper to do that)

As you said, you can always take your Symphony out and try to fit ;) This is the best test.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give the swap a try. Using a piece of paper with a pencil mark the Symphony in the A6 appears to be about an 1/8" taller.

What kind of sandpaper do you use for the finish sanding so that the edge doesn't look scratched or show white marks or other imperfections in the finish?

Thanks,
SMF

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
SMF said:
I'll give the swap a try. Using a piece of paper with a pencil mark the Symphony in the A6 appears to be about an 1/8" taller.

What kind of sandpaper do you use for the finish sanding so that the edge doesn't look scratched or show white marks or other imperfections in the finish?

Thanks,
SMF
I used my friend's Dremel tool, but you can get any finishing fine sandpaper (high grift)

Faceplate is made from solid black plastic so you should not get any white marks. Remember to cover all other parts (screen, knobs etc) to avoid any damage.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
When I have modifed faceplates for A2's and B5 A4's, I have found that a wood working plane gives the best finish. Cut with a hack saw to near the line and then plane for a smooth finish.

Also, before planing, remove the structural struts behind the faceplate so the plane runs smoothly long the surface. A craft knife will trim them down easily.

Craig

·
Registered
38 Posts
SMF said:
I see conflicting info on whether a 4B0 035 192 P (A6 RNS-E) will fit perfectly in a B5 S4 or needs some mod to the faceplate. Proxus indicates on his For Sale page it's a perfect fit but the main part numbers thread indicates the need for a faceplate mod.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SMF
Hi all,
I buy the A6 unit (4B0 035 192 P) to upgrade my navigator (from RNS-4.1)
in my B5 RS4.

I'm glad to see the unit fit perfectly the B5 A4

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts