Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of installing a RNS-E in my 2003 B6 S4. Seems quite straightforward but wondered whether the free shareware version of the VAG-Com and a USD 20 cable bought on Ebay would allow me to finalize the installation ? Thx

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
G.H. said:
I am thinking of installing a RNS-E in my 2003 B6 S4. Seems quite straightforward but wondered whether the free shareware version of the VAG-Com and a USD 20 cable bought on Ebay would allow me to finalize the installation ? Thx
NO.

You need to be able to change settings, which you can't do with the shareware version.

IIRC you also need a later version of VAG-COM than the shareware version to be able to setup the RNS-E - can't remember the exact number though.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
If you told the person the configuration of your car then they could have VAG-COM'ed your RNS-E to be correct for your car - but they can't have setup e.g. the instruments or CAN gateway to show navigation data in the DIS.

It's my experience that the RNS-E and instruments can throw fault codes which prevent the RNS-E and car working properly together, which need a VAG-COM to clear.

Of course, you may just be lucky ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts