Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the RNS-E and was wondering if the RNS-E has these features and how well they work.

- auto rerouting if you didn't follow the direction given (not just take a k-turn rerouting)

- updated traffic information (US Spec)

- easy to read screen during day/night

- lady/man voice with navigation directions? (does the voice cut out your speakers or song you are playing)

- Does the RNS-E make use of the Color DIS?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
kak39 said:
I'm new to the RNS-E and was wondering if the RNS-E has these features and how well they work.

- auto rerouting if you didn't follow the direction given (not just take a k-turn rerouting)

- updated traffic information (US Spec)

- easy to read screen during day/night

- lady/man voice with navigation directions? (does the voice cut out your speakers or song you are playing)

- Does the RNS-E make use of the Color DIS?

Thanks.
Yes it does auto re-routing. Find it works well, re-calculates quickly when I take the route I want, although it may eventually give up and say turn around (if that is the best option)

Have a Euro Spec, so don't know.

Yes I think it is easy to read. There are different colour options for day and night.

Yes there is a lady talking. She talks over your music, but you can set the volume.

Yes it uses the colour DIS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Does it work with traffic in the UK? And can anyone answer for the US?

Also, when you say "talk over your music" do you mean it cuts out your music completely or just is louder than.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The RNS-E does not have any traffic information capabilities in the US. Search for TMC or navtraffic and you will a couple discussions on this subject.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there at all the possiblity of Audi updating it's firmware on the RNS-E units for this nav functionality? Also, does TMX cost a monthly subscription like navtraffic

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is the possibility for Audi to provide updated software and map data to support TMC. XM navtraffix is unlikely since Audi discontinued offering XM. In the UK and France you pay for the TMC service by buying the map DVD so , no, there is no monthly subscription fee for TMC.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: thanks

kak39 said:
Also, when you say "talk over your music" do you mean it cuts out your music completely or just is louder than.
It reduces the volume of the music, and then talks over it. And restores the volume of the music after the instructions.

BTW when you say TMX do you mean TMC - or something else?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, sorry. TMC. Yeah is TMC available in the states, for if Audi desides to get with the 21st centrury?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
kak39 said:
Ha, sorry. TMC. Yeah is TMC available in the states, for if Audi desides to get with the 21st centrury?
I'll have to let someone from the US answer that question for certain, but AFAIK there is no TMC service in the US that Audi systems can use.

Plus the navtraffic system that the Audi sat receivers do not support.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just can't belive my fathers cheapo GPS device that he just bought for $300 for his car....has updated traffic information displayed to it...but the unit i might buy for $1400 doesn't.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can't believe it either but...

kak39 said:
I just can't believe my fathers cheapo GPS device that he just bought for $300 for his car....has updated traffic information displayed to it...but the unit I might buy for $1400 doesn't.....
I can't believe it either but they just did away with the Nag / acknowledgement screem (HA - I'll leave that typo). There are a lot of smart people that are finding ways to update software. I don't think it will be long until a US Nav DVD has a working TMC built in. From that point it's just a matter of another software update.

Michael

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really hope it happens soon. It's just hard to constitute spending this large amount of money on a device that doesn't even have key features of a $300 unit....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.