Audi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used RNS-E (8E0035192J) to be retrofitted to my B5 S4. I have the RNS-E on my test bench now, not yet installed in car. I powered it up with a 12V DC power supply, and was able to enter the PIN code to unlock the unit and browse through its various menus.

However, if I open the LCD display and eject the CD in the drive (which was in there when I received the unit), the CD comes out ok, but the unit won't let me close the LCD display. Pressing on any button has no effect. After a few moments, the DVD drive then starts to attempt to load a disc even though I am not inserting anything into the slot. It continues doing that until I insert the CD. Then it loads the CD and allows me to close the LCD display.

This doesn't seem like normal behavior to me. Essentially, it requires a disc to be loaded in order to close the LCD display. What's going on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update to this.

It turns out to be a problem with the DVD drive itself. The mechanism that detects disc insertion is not working properly and looks like it's jammed. I ordered a replacement drive, which is on its way to me. I'll post more after I install it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts