Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming this isn't normal. When I turn off the ignition, and even leave the car, the RNS-E I just retrofitted happily keeps playing, I have to turn it off manually. Where would it normally get the signal to turn off from? Does that get sent over the CAN bus? Or is this an issue with my wiring harness? I haven't yet found somebody with VAG-COM that could help me code the unit correctly, but this is pretty much the only thing (except for bluetooth integration) that isn't working correctly at the moment.

Any clues what my issue could be?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Do the buttons illuminate when you turn on the lights and do you see the radio station in your DIS?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the buttons do illuminate when I turn on the light, but I don't see the radio stations on my DIS. I do, however, see the navigation instructions on the DIS...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Could still be incorrect coding. The next step would be to check the coding of the RNS-E and make sure that it is coded for an A3. And while you connected with a VAG-COM, check the faults that are logged as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. I'm trying to chase down somebody that has a CAN compatible VAG-COM, maybe as soon as this evening. Also just curious as to how this works -- does the instrument cluster send all the devices on the CAN bus a signal saying "key has been pulled"? Is this documented/known?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Correct, the instrument cluster send a broadcast message on a certain ID to all devices connected to the CAN to tell them that for example ignition is on or the lights are on. CAN messages are not documented but some are known. But they are different for each car, each model and sometimes each model year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, VAG-COM solved the problem. Recoded it tonight, and I think the issue was that the unit had been coded for the A4 (which is weird, seeing how the unit physically doesn't really fit into that car) -- anyways, all is working now.

On to new endeavours, my DICE Electronics iPod link arrived today... :)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good to hear that correct coding solved the issue. Please report back how the DICE is, I'm sure a coupel of people are interested in this as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts