Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

My RNS-E display colors have turned all white :( Sometimes if I hit a bump the colors will display normal. Also if I press on the front of the display sometimes that gets the display working. I was wondering if the display could be repaired or replaced or do I need to replace the whole unit. I am using the Euro unit with part number ending with P in my B5 S4. I believe the Hardware number is 44. Is there a better unit out now days? TIA

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
P unit is A6 unit for A6 / Allroad and A5 B5.
Those units were discontinued before Audi RNS-E plant was moved from Japan to Belgium. They are pretty hard to get now but screen is interchangable part so you can get one from any other RNS-E.

I suspect that you have problem with LCD signal transfer unit (it is more like connection problem) or your LCD broke somewhere. If screen is white it means that power is delivered but signal itself is not. One guy emailed me about RNS-E he bought on eBay and it came with half of the screen white. In case like that it is almost impossible to fix it. This kind of damage is caused by strong impact. The only way it will be replacement with new screen.

What you can do before looking for new screen, just examine connection of video line for your LCD. This is gold tape behind the screen. On one end it is connected to the LCD on the other to the main board. In best scenario it could be loose tape, but I would rather say it is broken LCD.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
In another thread on this forum someone has reported the RNS-E LCD screen is the same as on a Vauxhall/Opel (GM in Europe) unit - and they DO sell spares.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be great to get a replacement screen. I have a feeling it would be hard to source here in the US. can anyone help me with that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts