Audi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight I did the vag-com programming and setup the nav to look for a cd changer (software coding 030113). According to what I read the first 3 designates cd changer.

Yet I still only see the nav dvd and the empty sd slots in the cd menu.

Is there something else that I am missing here in setup ?

The phat has been running on a re-pinned stock setup for months now with my symphony unit which was swapped yesterday so I am doubting that wiring is an issue. It seems logical that if the Phat was pinned correctly for Symphony then it should be exactly the same for RNS-e ... right ?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you check the ground wire in pin 10 of the 20 pin connector I? The Symphony II has that pin grounded but many RNS-E adapter don't. That's usually the issue. The other reason could be incorrect wiring of the 8 CDC control/power/audio wires. Did you check those base don NSX guide?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I second this response. Your CD changer GND wire is likely not connected. Ground this wire to the chassis of the car one way or another (tap into the main GND wire in the plug and play harness, or attach to a ground screw behind the radio, or any other way... just ground it!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just so that I am clear here ... pin 10 was a grounb signal via the Symphony deck but with the RNS-e it isnt. So I need to remove #10 from the pin at the deck and run it to a ground source ?

Or should I simply tap a ground source into the wire and leave it hooked to both the deck AND ground as it is now ?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Some RNS-E adapters have pin 10 properly grounded, some others don't (because there is no dedicated pin on the RNS-E for CDC ground). It all depends on where you got the adapter from. Either T-tap pin 10 to the main ground wire in the RNS-E adapter or find another chassis ground next to the head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So... Just completed RNE-E "J" install in my B7 A4. Installed options: Premium pkg, Tech pkg, XM. So - I understand and have implemented the suggested wiring config for Ice>Link that involves routing the audio thru the XM pass - thru. Here's my problem: When i hook up the Ice>Link, the RNS doesn't see it. Kinda. It shows the NAV DVD in the RNS as "disc 7", not "disc 1". But - (and I have V2.14 on the Ice>Link) the RNS doesn't see any other discs... All wiring has been triple checked. Ice>Link is powered properly (grounded, etc)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
stanruther said:
So... Just completed RNE-E "J" install in my B7 A4. Installed options: Premium pkg, Tech pkg, XM. So - I understand and have implemented the suggested wiring config for Ice>Link that involves routing the audio thru the XM pass - thru. Here's my problem: When i hook up the Ice>Link, the RNS doesn't see it. Kinda. It shows the NAV DVD in the RNS as "disc 7", not "disc 1". But - (and I have V2.14 on the Ice>Link) the RNS doesn't see any other discs... All wiring has been triple checked. Ice>Link is powered properly (grounded, etc)

Any thoughts?
Is your RNS-E coded to support a CD changer and did you triple check that the phatbox ground wire is properly connected?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ground with Pahtnoise/Concert II?

I used my Phatbox on my previous Audi with Audi Concert II with Bose. Now I want to use the same Phatbox/cables to connect to my RNS-E which came with glovebox CD changer. Can I just plug-out the CD changer and plug-in the Phatbox with the same cabling, or do I have to expect a Ground problem also ??

Thanks for your help!

regards,

S4udibert

·
Registered
71 Posts
Phatbox not found after RNS-E install

a pin got pushed out of the pin block. My little voice said "don't force the blocks together". I did not listen. Fortunately the mechanic at Audi of Mission Viejo found it in just a few minutes. The car was already in for something else.

PS: I should of done what TeddyB did on the roof rack install. Wait until all the kids are in bed and work (uninterupted) in the midnight hours.

Cheers, Michael
'02 Allroad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts