Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing an RNS-E into a 2000 S4 with Symphony I, and ran into a problem when trying to relocate the DATA and CLK wires to the CAN H and CAN L wires both to the T32c grey connector behind the instrument cluster and the vehicle connector I behind the head unit. In both cases, there are already wires connected in the CAN H and CAN L terminals. Is my car prewired for CAN BUS? Will my RNS-E work the way it is if I just plug in the connectors? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I don't know about the Date/Clock/Enable wires but when I installed the RNS-E in a B5 we used pin 5 and 6 in the grey connector for CAN high/low. Are those pins already used in your car?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Do you have the CAN wires in the 20 pin Connector I? If yes it may be sufficient to just connect CAN there. Not sure if that's the infotainment CAN (that is required by the RNS-E) or the comfort CAN (that the Symphony HU could use to display data in the DIS).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, there are wires connected to all 20 terminals on vehicle connector I. Not sure if it's the CAN wires that are connected to pins 7 and 12 or not, like they should be according to the installation guide. Is there anyway that I can tell?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, CAN Infotainment would be orange/purple (high) and orange/brown (low). Forgot would CAN comfort was, maybe orange/green (high) and orange/brown (low).

Does your connector look like this:

What is the wire color in CANH?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like my car is prewired for CAN BUS. My pin 7 has an orange/purple wire, and my pin 12 has an orange/brown wire. Also, in my grey plug, pin 5 has an orange/purple and pin 6 has an orange/brown. I guess I'm all set to plug it all in. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plugged it in, and everything works, almost. My car position only updates once every few minutes. Based on what I've read on the forum, it sounds like it's the speed signal since I generally get 7-8 satellites. I'll try to program it with VAG-COM and see if that works, since I never did when I first connected it. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good to hear. You should code your RNS-E for an A6 and make sure that the GA wires from the Symphony plug connects to the V wire on the RNS-E. That should give your RNS-E the proper speed signal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
TeddyBGame said:
it is very rare that your 2000 S4 would be prewired....but if it works...then go with it.

Good stuff. Enjoy!!
My 2000 S4 had all the wires in place. The only thing I had to do was relocate the speed wire in the RNS-E adapter harness to match the GALA wire's location from the factory harness.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just kept driving it, and all of a sudden, it started to work. It's still slightly choppy though, it probably updates by position once or twice a second. Is it supposed to be like this, or should the arrow move completely smoothly across the map?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.