Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been reading all related topics on the forum, but can't find an answer to my specific problem.

I installed an European RNS-E and BT module in my 2003 Audi A4 avant V6 2.5TDI

This car had no radio preinstalled whatsoever. I had to find all wires except power lead, ground and speaker leads myself.

The RNS-E is connected to K-line (from the diagnose plug) and to the CAN-H/CAN-L wires taken from the back side of the instrument cluster.

GALA, illumination, speed signal, key on/off all works. BT and RNS-E both work perfectly there is just no phone, radio or nav info in my DIS.

I can communicate with the RNS-E (56), instument cluster (17) and BT module (77) using VAG-COM and the HEX-CAN USB.

I have set instrument cluster (62) to 23 and I have also tried 5 but the RED DIS does not work. Also not after a full reset (car battery disconnect).

I have the simple RED DIS (no advanced menu's, just fuel consumption, speed warning ect.).

Here are the current VAG-COM settings:
----------------------------------------------
address 17: Instruments
Part No: 8E0 920 900 K
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. RB4 D36
Coding: 00100
Shop #: WSC 06435
1 Fault Found
01304 - Radio
49-00 - No Communications ### this one worries me

62 is set to 23!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 37: Navigation
Part No: 8E0 035 192 C
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H50 0550
Coding: 0311211
Shop #: WSC 06435
2 Faults Found
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier ### I have no diversety antenna
011 - Open Circuit
01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
008 - Implausible Signal ### I read this is a common error for self installed RNS-E
---------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to get this working somehow?

Cheers,

Michel[/b]

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
When you clear those fault codes do they come straight back?

Many have reported that having coded the DIS and the RNS-E they have to wait sometime (maybe even a couple of days for the nav information to appear on the DIS).

Remember too, that you have the "red DIS bug" - so to get route information to appear on the DIS you must:
1) choose a destination and start guidance
2) turn the RNS-E off
3) turn the RNS-E back on

I have NO fault codes at all in my car even with self installed RNS-E and Bluetooth modules, and that should always be the case. Anything else implies either incorrect coding or a bad connection.

I see you have coded your RNS-E to 311211 even though you say you have a phone. I would have expected the correct coding to be 301711.

How is your Bluetooth module coded? 10722?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, I used the wrong (old) logfile:

Address 37: Navigation
Part No: 8E0 035 192 C
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H50 0550
Coding: 0311711

I've got 23 adaption in 62 for a week now, but there is no DIS. I tried all tricks like compass on, plan route first, switch RNS-E on/off, nothing helps.

BT is properly coded, I can't check it right now cause I have no cable available now for vag-com.

I wouldn't know what could be wrong. Cable's all seem to be connected the proper way since can and k-line and all RNS-E and BT functions work. Just not the DIS.

Cheers,

Michel

·
Registered
530 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Remember too, that you have the "red DIS bug" - so to get route information to appear on the DIS you must:
2) turn the RNS-E off
Not all RNS-Es have this issue Dave - I had it with a C unit but the K unit that I have currently works fine (ie the minute I 'start route guidance', directions pop up in the DIS without having to turn the unit off/on).

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Alister said:
PetrolDave said:
2) turn the RNS-E off
Not all RNS-Es have this issue Dave - I had it with a C unit but the K unit that I have currently works fine (ie the minute I 'start route guidance', directions pop up in the DIS without having to turn the unit off/on).
IIRC this is the first time that anyone with a B6/B7 A4 with red DIS has reported that the "red DIS bug" doesn't exist - good news!

Maybe there is a fix in the later RNS-E hardware?

Anyone else have a B6/B7 A4 with red DIS that doesn't have the bug, and what version RNS-E do you have?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alister said:
PetrolDave said:
2) turn the RNS-E off
Hello!

Can someone else confirm this or was it a "lucky shot"?
Is it a HW or a SW "solution"?

/Daniel

·
Registered
530 Posts
FWIW mine is a H72 SW0500 unit.

I think it is hardware related as I updated my C unit to SW0500 but it didn't make any difference in this regard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts