Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have retrofitted my 2007 A3 3.2 with an RNS-E. It previously had a a Symphony II radio. The unit works flawlessly but after a few days my battery is dead.

When I close the car and lock the door the RNS-E fan and DVD keep running for little while. At that time I measure a voltage drop of 6-7 mV across the fuse (19), which is equivalent to 1.5 amps. After a few minutes the RNS-E shuts off completely and the voltage drop goes to zero. However, every few minutes I can hear the DVD drive starting again for a short time.

I thought that maybe the unit is not getting a proper signal form the CAN to power off and checked the coding, but everything seems okay:

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 1K0-907-530.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 K HW: 1K0 907 951
Component: J533__Gateway H12 0170
Revision: H12 Serial number: 33001071291353
Coding: FF3F03C807000102
Shop #: WSC 01507 444 100128
VCID: 2F43C938BE066CC

No fault code found.

Address 37: Navigation Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 035 193 B HW: 8P0 035 193 B
Component: RNS-E PU US H03 0200
Revision: 0000005S Serial number: AUZBZ7J6115033
Coding: 0209637
Shop #: WSC 01507 444 100128
VCID: 2F43C938BE066CC

1 Fault Found:
02218 - Satellite Radio (R146)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 5
Mileage: 71481 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.12.31
Time: 14:44:51

The harness is from Kufatec and I checked the wiring (NSXJR); only differences: Alarm GND (D14) not connected to III-2 and Bose GND connected to III-8 instead of III-1. I read about it and don't think it really matters.

Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sat in my car today and timed the intermittent activity of my RNS-E. After removing the key from the ignition and locking the car, I can hear hear the unit starting up again every 10 minutes. It runs for about 1 minute, during which I hear the DVD drive spinning and the fan running while the screen stays dark. After that it goes back into sleep mode for 10 minutes. I have no clue what is going on but I am sure this could be the reason for my slow battery drain.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Do your navigation instructions and radio data appear on the DIS?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Yes. The instructions appear correctly on the DIS.
Then the CAN bus is almost certainly OK as those are carried on the CAN bus.

I'm wondering if the RNS-E is overheating and that's what makes it keep draining current?

What map DVD are you using - a genuine Audi one or a copied one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Overheating is a good thought for the intermittent activity of the fan. However, I have noticed this also when I am sitting in the car without having driven it.

I have not checked the DVD; I'll take a look when I get home. Got the unit from Haagie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DVD is not genuine. After I took it out, I didn't hear the unit wake up again or the fan running. However, this morning the battery was dead again. I am not sure, if it was just the cold weather (we currently have -10 C) giving my already weak battery the rest, or if the problem is ongoing. I hope I don't have a bad unit. I am going to fully charge the battery and then we will see, if it holds the voltage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
you can pull the fuse and see if the battery dies the next day, just make sure you have the code handy.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I am not sure, if it was just the cold weather (we currently have -10 C) giving my already weak battery the rest,...
I am going to fully charge the battery and then we will see, if it holds the voltage.
If your battery is already weak then it won't hold charge in -10 temperatures.

How old is your battery? Even the best batteries only have 5 year warranties.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The battery is only 4 month old. In any case, I brought the to the dealer to get it checked out; battery and alternator are okay. Now they are performing a midtronic draw test over the weekend to localize the problem. They also changed the brake-light switch, as it has been a known cause of slow battery drain. Let's see what happens. If everything points to the unit, I will take you up on your offer Haagie and try to switch it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to get an update on my battery issues: I brought the car to the Audi dealer, where they replaced the brake light switch. They also performed another draw test; first overnight and then for 3 days. They couldn’t find any parasitic draw and concluded that the car was fine now. When I came to pick it up, I asked them to show me that the battery was in fact okay, so they performed another performed battery check with me. The battery had 12.5V, but when they put a load on the battery (turning on lights, heated seats, radio etc. ) the alternator couldn’t provide enough power to charge the battery. They concluded that the alternator needed to be replaced. Since it was the Friday before a long weekend, it took a few days for the parts to arrive. In the meantime the car sat in the dealers parking lot and when a few days later they tried to drive it into the shop the battery was dead again. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that it is probably not the alternator. They replaced it anyway - I don’t mind since it is covered under the warranty. During that whole time the navigation CD was not in the drive, so the idea that the unit might be overheating because of a non-genuine CD can’t be the cause either. I was told that they performed further testing (this time using a simple ampmeter instead of their fancy midtronic testing device) and found an intermittent draw. They think one of the modules is faulty and intermittently wakes up other components. Could my RNS-E be the reason, can it intermittently wake up? I am leaving town for a week so I took out the fuse (15) to the radio. Let’s see if it is still draining. I also ordered another harmness. Mine (Kufatec) is missing the Alarm ground wire. I don’t really think that that is the cause of my problems since I am sure many other people are using this harness without any problems, but I thought it’s worth a try. If all that fails, I will try to replace the unit.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the 8P0 862 335 J MY 2007 (North America). So, I don't think this is the cause.

As mentioned above I was away for about 10 days. For that time I had removed the radio fuse (19). When I returned the battery was dead again. In the manual I saw that another fuse (20) is labeled radio/navigation. I am not quite sure what that one is doing, but I did not remove it. However, when I take out 19 the radio does not turn on. Now I am not sure, whether removing fuse 19 and still having a dead battery means that the RNS-E is not the cause.
For now I put my Symphony radio back in. Let's see, if my battery issues resolve. When I changed the coding back to radio, I noticed that it was not coded for satellite radio. I was under the impression that my car has a factory installed satellite radio module, but maybe I was wrong. The error massage that I got from the VAG com (see above) would be consistent with that:

1 Fault Found:
02218 - Satellite Radio (R146)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 5
Mileage: 71481 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.12.31
Time: 14:44:51

Could improper coding of the RNS-E (coded for satellite radio, if there is none) be a reason for the battery drain?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Could improper coding of the RNS-E (coded for satellite radio, if there is none) be a reason for the battery drain?
No, AFAIK the only coding error that causes battery drain is when coded for the wrong model Audi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you think about the drain persisting with the fuse being pulled? Can it still be the RNS-E?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
What do you think about the drain persisting with the fuse being pulled? Can it still be the RNS-E?
If the fuse you've pulled is the only one feeding power to the RNS-E then it cannot be the RNS-E.

Pull the fuse and measure the voltage at pin D15 on the RNS-E, if that's 0V then it's not the RNS-E.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't had a chance yet to check the voltage a pin D15 with the fuse pulled, but since I put the symphony radio back in I haven't had any drain.

I have on more thought that I would like to share: I have read that there can be a battery drain, if one installs a RNS510 into a VW without can gateway update. Since these cars share a lot of components I was wondering if that could be an issue for my car too.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Navigation_System_(RNS510)_Retrofitting

My can gateway and software is one of the ones listed as not being compatible. (Part Number is 1K0-907-530-K and the Software Version is 0178)
Do you think that it could be the cause of my problem?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I can recall any posts on here about CAN Gateway version problems with an RNS-E retrofit on an A3.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I couldn't find anything either; it was just a thought. Having ruled out everything else, I think I am left with the RNS-E unit itself as the cause for the battery drain. Also, when I put the Symphony radio back in the car, the battery drain stops. Since Haagie offered to swap the unit I will give it a try and replace it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts